Licensed Animal Technician
FHMS Faculty Admin
Salary: £26,444 to £29,605 per annum
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Friday 06 October 2023
Do you have a passion for animal welfare and a strong interest in advancing scientific research? Are you dedicated to upholding the highest standards of care for animals involved in research?
An exciting opportunity awaits you as a Licensed Animal Technician. In this role, you will support the daily operations of our Biological Research Facility (BRF) while actively championing animal welfare and promoting a Culture of Care within our establishment.
As a Licensed Animal Technician, your role involves ensuring the health, well-being, and proper care of the animals under our care. In accordance with Home Office guidelines and the Animal Scientific Procedures Act 1986, your responsibilities include:
- Animal Welfare: Delivering exceptional care, handling, and husbandry for a diverse range of laboratory animals, spanning rodents, rabbits, and more.
- Health Surveillance: Regularly assessing the health status of animals, closely observing them for any indicators of distress or illness.
- Supporting Research: Collaborating closely with researchers to facilitate animal-related experimental procedures while meticulously adhering to ethical guidelines and pertinent regulations.
- Precise Documentation: Accurately recording all areas of animal care, procedures, and observations following standardised protocols and regulatory mandates.
- Facility Upkeep: Upholding impeccable hygiene and safety standards by maintaining the cleanliness and organisation.
For this role, prior technical expertise is required.
We seek an enthusiastic individual driven by a genuine passion for both animal welfare, coupled with a practical work approach. Your skills will include adaptability, organisation and hands-on laboratory experience. As a team player, you'll also be able to work independently while providing guidance and professional judgment to academic and technical communities.
In addition to salary, you will receive a generous annual leave entitlement, a great pension, discount to Surrey Sports Park, childcare assistance, and excellent development opportunities.
If you are enthusiastic, keen to join the University and are motivated to do things differently and open up a world of new possibilities, we would be delighted to hear from you. For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Laura Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and to apply online, please download the further details and click on the 'apply online' button above.
In return we offer a generous pension, relocation assistance where appropriate , flexible working options including job share and blended home/campus working locations (dependent on work duties), access to world-class leisure facilities on campus, a range of travel schemes and supportive family friendly benefits including an excellent on-site nursery.
The University of Surrey is committed to providing an inclusive environment that offers equal opportunities for all. We place great value on diversity and are seeking to increase the diversity within our community. Therefore we particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups and people with disabilities.