School of Health and Life Sciences
Campus: Based on Dumfries Campus however the post holder will be required to work across UWS Campuses as required
Salary: (AC4) £56,021- £64,914 per annum
Full time, Permanent
THE POST – Senior Lecturer in Adult Nursing, Community and Health
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, innovative individual with a PhD (or be nearing completion) who has experience of adult nursing, academia, supervision of students and team leadership.
As a Senior Lecturer, you will share academic leadership and management for the Division, including line management. You will take a lead role in the design, development, and delivery of a range of undergraduate and postgraduate academic programmes within the division, engaging in academic quality assurance and enhancement activity such as to ensure high standards and regulatory/ professional body compliance. Thus, experience of learning and teaching in higher education with a desire to develop, innovative methods to enhance the student experience across our programmes is essential. You will contribute to the development of research and enterprise across the Division, supporting income generation and growth in these key areas of Divisional and School activity.
A Nursing Midwifery Council (NMC) registration is essential for this post.
The successful candidate will have:
• Qualified to PhD Level (or nearing completion) and extensive professional experience in relevant subject area.
• Relevant Master's Degree (if PhD studies not completed)
• Membership and/or accreditation from an appropriate regulatory/professional organisation (e.g. NMC)
• Extensive and sustained experience of education delivery and development in HEI and or practice settings
• Extensive theoretical and practical knowledge of relevant subject area.
• Extensive experience of relevant subject area practice.
• Experience of student and/or trainee supervision at undergraduate level.
University of the West of Scotland (UWS) is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries, and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy, and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research, and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Health & Life Sciences at UWS offers innovative teaching and research opportunities, firmly focused on the real-world challenges facing the healthcare and life sciences sectors. The School is involved in the British Council Gender Advancement through Transforming Institutions in India project and the British Council and SEAMAO RIHED Gender Equality and Diversity (GEDI).
The Division of Adult Nursing, Community and Health is the largest healthcare education provider in Scotland. Our current portfolio of programmes includes BSc (Honours) Adult Nursing, MSc Adult Nursing, BSc (Honours) Nursing Studies, MSc Nursing, MSc Advanced Practice, Specialist Community Public Health Nursing and Dip HE Operating Department Practice. We work in partnership with seven NHS Boards to deliver a quality assured, contemporary healthcare student experience.
You will join a supportive and committed team, where you will play a key role in continuing to establish the University as a force for good. Our students benefit from studying in modern learning facilities – among the best in the country – and the strong links we have with partner organisations across the private, public and third sectors.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
• 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
• An additional days leave on your birthday
• 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
• A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
• Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
• Fitness facilities across our campuses
• Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy, and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
• Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting:
Dr Anne Marie Craig, Head of Division email@example.com,
To request a job description please contact the recruitment team via firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this role please apply with a CV and Covering Letter highlighting your skills and experience that are relevant to the role.
Closing Date: Monday 9th October 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 18th October 2023
Further Information, including details of how to apply is available at Search & Apply for Jobs at UWS | jobs.ac.uk
*The current academic structure and nomenclature at UWS is as follows:
AC2 – Lecturer (first time academic post)
AC3 – Lecturer
AC4 – Senior Lecturer (alternate titles used in different Universities include Principal Lecturer or Associate Professor)
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.