Research Fellow in Mathematics and Statistics
- Full time, 2 years fixed term. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Opportunity to contribute to research focused on Mathematics and Statistics and be part of world-class team of mathematicians
- Base Salary Level B, $118,3901 - $140,586 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators.
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Mathematics and Statistics. The successful applicant will undertake research embedded in the algebra group in the School of Mathematics and Statistics under the supervision of Associate Professor Oded Yacobi, supported by the ARC Discovery Project "Braid Groups via Representation Theory and Machine Learning" awarded jointly to Yacobi and Professor Geordie Williamson.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- demonstrate research excellence in pure mathematics, preferably in areas related to Representation Theory broadly interpreted
- develop research collaborations
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- assist in student supervision at the undergraduate and postgraduate level
- contribute to successful applications for competitive research grants and/ or funding to deliver research impact
- develop your profile in the areas of mathematics through conferences and seminars.
Preference will be given to candidates working in the areas of pure mathematics, and who will be able to build capacity in this area through the organization and participation of seminars, conferences, or outreach activities.
To learn more about the School of Mathematics and Statistics, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in mathematics
- the ability to supervise students at undergraduate levels
- experience in coordinating team activities
- primary research interests in mathematics, specifically Representation Theory and related areas
- proven research excellence in mathematics
- demonstrated evidence of independent research ability and potential in an area of mathematics
- experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars
- demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills, interacting with a variety of researchers and stakeholders.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
Copyright The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Wednesday 25 October 2023 11:59 PM