Assistant Professor of Modern Japanese
Assistant Professor of Modern Japanese
Requisition Number: 51577
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date: 01-Nov-2023
The Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Modern Japanese Literature and Culture to begin August 2024. Candidates must have a PhD in Japanese literature or a related field. ABD candidates will be considered. However, if the PhD degree is not conferred by August 19, 2024, the candidate will be appointed initially as an Instructor. Job duties include teaching courses to undergraduate and graduate students in Japanese literature and culture, as well as service to the university. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations (ALC), founded in 1982, offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Chinese and Japanese, five minor programs, as well as language, literature and culture courses in Arabic, Chinese, Hindi/Urdu, Japanese and Korean. ALC brings global diversity to the curriculum and the Boulder campus of CU. Our department’s focus on a broad swath of the non-Western world puts us in a position to share worldviews and traditions of literature, culture, thought, and artistic expression developed by civilizations in pre-modern, modern, and contemporary South Asia, East Asia, North Africa, and the Middle East. Majors and minors receive a thorough grounding in their choice of language and develop familiarity with the literary and cultural histories of their selected area. Recent graduates have found positions in such fields as government service, international business and secondary-school teaching; others have gone on to graduate study in Chinese or Japanese.
Please see here for the Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence of the Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Job duties include teaching courses to undergraduate and graduate students in Japanese literature and culture, as well as service to the university.
What You Should Know
- Teaching load is normally four courses per year (2 and 2). The successful candidate will maintain an active research agenda as a part of their normal academic duties.
- As part of the University of Colorado Boulder’s deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, the campus has implemented a reference check pilot program with respect to final candidates for tenured faculty appointments. The reference check pilot program is intended to allow CU Boulder to collect and review information about a candidate's conduct at their previous institutions, specifically conduct related to sexual misconduct, harassment, and/or discrimination – before making hiring decisions. All final candidates for tenured faculty appointments are required to complete an Authorization to Release Information.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $82,000 annually; relocation assistance may be available to the successful candidate.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be inclusive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- PhD in Japanese literature or a related field.
- Ability to teach courses in Japanese literature and culture to undergraduate and graduate students.
To apply, please submit the materials listed below in PDF format to this posting with the following naming convention: “LastName_FirstName_NameofDocument”, i.e., Smith_John_CV
- Cover Letter: Succinct letter of application highlighting qualifications.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
- Diversity & Inclusion Statement: Please include a statement on how your teaching, research and/or service demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusion; examples might include scholarly work, efforts to improve access to higher education for underrepresented individuals or groups, or other contributions to diverse communities.
- Syllabus: One sample course syllabus for a university-level course taught.
- Writing Sample: One sample publication or example of scholarly work.
Applications will be accepted until November 1, 2023.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Assistant-Professor-of-Modern-Japanese/51577
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency