KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Engineer to work on “Freeze Desalination and Unlocking the Potential of Thermoacoustic Refrigeration” project. This involves experimental and numerical simulation of thermoacoustic refrigeration to secure the needed cooling power for freeze desalination. Specifically, the RE will take a lead and help student in setting up and carrying out experimental for:
- Generating thermoacoustic wave and their conversion to thermoacoustic cooling
- Reaching Eutectic freezing using laboratory equipment’s like freeze dryer and work with the team in the development and setting up the crystallizer
- To provide high quality research support and undertake competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research work and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
The expectation of this this role is to focus on lab/equipment support and research project operations with minimal publication output.
- Contribute to the continued innovation and development of the research program.
- Provide technical support to faculty members and students conducting research and participate in funded research projects.
- Maintain liaison with investigators, research personnel and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities.
- Continue developing and instrumenting the current thermoacoustic refrigeration setup system that involved 3D stack printing and positioning in the resonator tube
- Continue developing and instrumenting the micro droplet freezing setup that involved pettier cooling and temperature measurements
- Continue developing and instrumenting the macro jar/try freezing setup that involves the use of the freeze dryer, temperature and salinity measurements
- Procure the needed components to develop bench top crystallizer driven either by Peltier or Thermoacoustic cooling and carry out experimentation to achieve brine Eutectic conditions.
- Carry out the required experimentation and measurements of the temperature, salinity and ion chromatography analysis
- Data Analysis, report/paper writing, and power point slides preparation
- Adhere to the guidelines and the work ethics of Khalifa University
- Drive practices and metrics, which ensure that the laboratories operate in compliance with all aspects of Khalifa University Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) policies.
- Ensure Research lab equipment is operational to the maximum extent possible and improve operations through efficient use of existing equipment.
- Design and fabricate systems for experimental purposes.
- Supervise the management of supply and parts inventory, manage the inventory of commonly used lab supplies.
- Advise the faculty and researchers purchase consumables and accessories for equipment.
- Manage the technical aspects of the request for quotation with spare parts approved suppliers and vendors.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Masters from a reputable university in Mechanical/chemical Engineering or Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience of providing high quality operational support in a research labs environment, including equipment management/ maintenance and research support
- Experience of undertaking assigned research tasks
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 2 years of increasingly accountable relevant experience in a research lab environment in an equipment/facility support role (academia or industry)
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Engineer
Job Type: Full-time