Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 230st in the QS World University Rankings 2024, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Fellow to work within the research team of Dr Mayssa Hachem Al Galib in the department of chemistry.
The ideal candidate should fulfill below roles & responsibilities:
- Assist with the development of research objectives and proposals: the research project aim to respond to societal expectations and pharmaceutical industry for new therapeutic approaches in the context of neurodegenerative and retinal diseases.
- Involve working on marine protists culture for production of uniformly 13C labeled lipid extracts.
- Work on separation and purification of 13C-Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) enriched lipid classes.
- Deal with chemical and enzymatic synthesis of high purity uniformly 13C-DHA enriched lipid classes.
- Work on manufacturing services for 13C-DHA enriched lipid classes vastly required for the medical sector.
- Experience in marine protists culture
- Experience in conducting high quality research involving analytical chemistry for analysis of lipids.
- Experience in spectroscopic techniques mainly GC-IRMS, HPLC, LC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID and NMR.
- Hands-on expertise of in-depth interpretation of mass spectra.
- Hands-on expertise of lipid extraction from biological samples.
- Experience on enzymatic and chemical synthesis of lipids.
- Experience in 13C quantification.
- Demonstrable ability to work independently and team player skills.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- PhD from a reputable university in Chemistry/Biochemistry or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers.
- Demonstrable ability to present research papers at conferences and communicate complex information to specialists and within the wider academic community.
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture.
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers.
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Desired Criteria
- PhD gained from a top QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time