About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
The medical imaging lab at Khalifa University immediately needs a highly motivated research assistant to work in Dr Aamir’s research group. The successful candidate will work on artificial intelligence based material identification and quantification methods and integrate them with spectral photon-counting CT for accurate detection of crystal arthropathies as our disease model. The project will start by developing or obtaining custom phantoms with inserts made of synthetic crystals at known concentrations typically found in patients with crystal arthropathies. Phantom data will be acquired using the new generation small bore (125mm diameter) MARS SPCCT scanner (MARS Microlab 5x120) installed at Khalifa University’s medical imaging lab. Optimized phantom data will feed in to develop AI-based material identification methods at the voxel-by-voxel level adapted to SPCCT. This part will go through various iterations until the technique is tuned for crystal-specific assignments. The role requires an advanced level of computational and programming skills, strong knowledge of image processing, general knowledge of x-ray physics, and strong networking skills, and collaborate with clinicians, engineers, other local and international researchers, and graduate students. This is a strategic role aimed at attracting an ideal candidate to initially work on the project and later motivating him/her to enroll in a Ph.D. program.
- Work on optimal scanning parameters and x-ray dose levels for the spectral CT scanner to detect and distinguish different crystal types in phantoms.
- Work on AI-based computer-aided assessment techniques adapted to spectral CT scanner to distinguish crystals containing different calcium types from those that do not.
- Perform image analysis, process, and interpret data and produce high IF publications
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Bachelors from a reputable university in in physics, applied physics, medical physics, biomedical engineering, radiological sciences, applied mathematics, or other medical imaging related field or related discipline.
- Advanced computer programming skills such as (e.g., Matlab, Python, C++)
- Proficiency in designing, implementing, and fine-tuning deep learning models
- Experience of undertaking assigned research tasks and contributing to academic outputs
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- The proven ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Bachelors gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Assistant
Job Type: Full-time