Research Fellow (AI Ethics)
We are looking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS).
The Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE) was established in September 2006 in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine through a generous gift by the Chen Su Lan Trust. CBmE, directed by Prof Julian Savulescu, is a thriving centre for learning, teaching and research relating to ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and biomedical sciences. We are responsible for the development and delivery of the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism programme through all five years of the undergraduate medical curriculum in addition to the postgraduate and continuing professional education courses in bioethics. You can find out more about CBmE here: https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/cbme/. The goal of the new Director is to make CBmE a world leading Centre of medical ethics with a vibrant culture and strong international, particularly Asian, presence.
We are looking to appoint an experienced and enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to join our team. The successful candidate will contribute to the project on AI Ethics.
Professor Julian Savulescu is the Principal Investigator (PI) of the grant. This is a part of larger project aims to develop the theoretical basis and content for the procedure of Collective Reflective Equilibrium and establish an ethical algorithms to address the normative issues in medical ethics, advances in biotechnology and artificial intelligences (AI) in medicine.
The project will involve collaboration and associated travel with the Wellcome Centre for Ethics and Humanities (Oxford), the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, Biomedical Ethics Research Group (Murdoch Children’s Research Institute), Melbourne Law School, Kyoto University, Tokyo University, Hiroshima University and other key Asian partners as they develop.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the candidate are:
- Conduct literature reviews, including collation and synthesis of the literature
- Work with the PI to identify and analyse appropriate topics for analysis
- Design, conduct and analyse qualitative data from interviews and focus groups
- Support the design and interpretation of quantitative survey data
- Assist with applying for ethics approval and preparing regular reports to the Institutional Review Board and funding agencies, as required.
- Contribute to and lead (where appropriate) conceptual research, manuscript development, writing, editing and publication submission.
- Present work for feedback and dissemination at workshops or conferences locally and/or internationally
The position is a 2-year full-time appointment at the academic rank of Research Fellow. An option to renew the appointment for another 1.5 years will depend on performance and continued funding for the projects. There is the possibility to move to tenure track depending on performance. Start date is flexible but the successful candidate should ideally commence no later than 1 November, 2023. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
- Essential criteria
- A PhD in a discipline relevant to bioethics (e.g. philosophy, law, sociology, or political science) from a reputable university.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ethical issues related to AI and new technologies
- Experience in integrating empirical research findings with ethical analyses
- Proven track record of publication in the field of bioethics
- Exemplary written English and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and management skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaborative as well as independent work
2. Desirable criteria
- Skills in conducting and analysing qualitative research.
- Track record in Genomic or Neuro Ethics
- Fluent mandarin as you may be required to speak with Chinese collaborators
NUS offers highly competitive remuneration packages. The successful applicant will be offered an annual salary plus benefits commensurate with his or her experience and expertise and will have access to travel support to disseminate research outcomes at international academic conferences. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis beginning 24 July, 2023, until a suitable candidate is found. Please submit your application containing the following:
- A cover letter with statements that address each of the selection criteria above
- Curriculum vitae with contact details of three referees
- A writing sample (sole authored peer-reviewed publication strongly preferred)
- Current and expected salary
Please send applications to: Ms Connie Wu Email: email@example.com
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department: Dean's Office (Medicine)
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 21327