Teaching Assistant, NUS Cities
Most of the world now live in cities. Liveable, sustainable and resilient cities are needed to face the looming challenges of climate change, the next pandemics, ageing populations and technological, social and economic disruptions such as what we are currently experiencing.
NUS Cities is a multi-disciplinary, open and inclusive collaborating platform comprising the following three pillars: education, research and advisory; drawing on the varied talent and expertise of the university in its colleges, faculties and departments and centres of excellence.
Education: Educate the next generation of students as well as current practitioners to take an urban systems approach to plan, govern, build and manage cities, using a strong case-based approach taught by both practitioners and academics.
Research: Taking a systems approach tacking some of our biggest urban challenges, and in the process, gradually developing a Science of Cities.
dvisory: Provide strategic advisory services to organisations and cities. NUS Cities will also partner other universities and research institutions locally and internationally, as well as with industry partners worldwide.
We are building up our pipeline of talent and looking for highly motivated individuals who have a curiosity and passion about cities to be engaged in all three pillars. The successful candidates can look forward to an exciting journey with us as we build and grow NUS Cities, embarking on all aspects of NUS Cities’ ground-breaking work.
The full-time appointment for this Teaching Assistant position (Business Title: Associate, NUS Cities) is for a contract period of 1.5 to 2 years with the possibility of renewal.
- Assist in the conduct of online and in-person tutorials with the Studio Leaders/Practitioners for undergraduate core and minor modules.
- Provide support to students via email during office hours.
- Provide administrative support and assist in the day-to-day running of the module(s).
- Prepare undergraduate/minor educational resources and course materials.
- Evaluate module assessment components.
- Any other tasks assigned, e.g. research, advisory and outreach.
- A Good Bachelor’s degree or recent Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline. Candidates interested in / are pursuing Master's or PhD degree in Cities or related course are strongly encouraged to apply. Highly qualified candidates will be offered sponsorship opportunities.
- Excellent verbal, reading, and written skills and the ability to explain difficult concepts across clearly.
- Be able to work well independently and with a multi-disciplinary team with diverse interests.
- Strong interest in urban sciences/cities-related disciplines, as well as teaching and learning methods.
- Strong ability to engage and facilitate discussions with undergraduate students.
- Prior teaching/facilitation experience with good student feedback will be advantageous
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Dean's Office (College of Design & Eng)
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 20274