Associate Professor in Department of Information Systems and Business Analytics
- Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- Level D $153,058 - $168,353 + 17% Superannuation (pro rata part time)
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Associate Professor will provide leadership to achieve the Department’s strategic plan; contribute to the Department’s teaching across all levels; undertake and publish research in high-quality national and international journals and make strong contribution to the Department’s research agenda and in enhancing disciplinary profile; actively participate in and secure external research funding; foster relationships with research, industry, community, government and professional partners including higher education institutions; and, enhance the scholarly reputation of the University.
Your key responsibilities will include:
Education and Employability
- Leading the integration of industry and research to inform unit / course design and teaching practices across the discipline within the Department
- Leading teaching teams to develop and/or review courses and materials and innovation in curriculum design which influence teaching in the discipline or across multiple disciplines within the Department and University,
- Delivering learner-centric, research-informed teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Working collaboratively with and building teaching teams across the Department/ University to improve student learning outcomes
- Providing clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to facilitate learning outcomes
Research and Innovation
- Leading major, highly productive, high-quality, research and scholarship activities generating high-impact outputs
- Developing and leading academic or other collaborations that enable novel research activities recognised nationally and internationally
- Widely communicating research outputs to discipline(s), other sectors and the community, nationally and internationally, ensuring impact in the field and the community
- Leading applications and/or teams and succeeding in achieving external funding for research activities, that influence policy, strategy or translate into real-world impact
Department and University Citizenship and Engagement
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the university’s strategic agenda through formal and informal leadership and contributory roles to deliver core outcomes at the discipline and Department level
- Providing leadership and contributing to the development of the University’s community engagement agenda and activities
Key selection criteria for this role:
Qualifications and experience
- PhD in Information Systems, Business Analytics, or a related discipline
- Internationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in high quality journals such as the FT50 list, ABDC A* journals, AIS Basket journals and the UTD journal list
- Expertise in at least two of the following areas of research specialisation within the Department: information systems; business analytics; business analytics and decision-making; machine learning; digital innovation, transformation and disruption; digitally-enabled globalisation; digital entrepreneurship; IT and business value; digital health; artificial intelligence and the future of work
- Expertise in at least three of the following areas of teaching focus within the Department: business analytics; information systems; artificial intelligence for business; digital transformation; machine learning; data science; cyber security; enterprise systems; project management
- Distinguished record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and PG programs, including innovative curriculum design and supervision to doctoral level
- Success in obtaining and timely completion of competitive external research grants
- Successful engagement with research, community, and industry to enhance the national and international standing of the discipline
- Demonstrated success and passion for mentoring and leadership in teaching, research and administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Applications for this position close on 31st of Oct at 11.55pm.
- Occasional interstate or overseas travel may be required and regular travel within Victoria will be required
- Working with Children Check
- May be required to teach from other campuses in addition to the home campus
Please submit your updated resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Rajeev Sharma (Head of Department, Information Systems and Business Analytics) on email@example.com.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.