Position Type: Project Based (Fixed Term)
Position Duration: 01-Jan-2023 to 30-June -2024
Position Title: Research Assistant
Project Title: The ticking time-bomb: The hidden extent of the AMR landscape and the increasingly more untreatable hospital ESKAPE infections across the UAE
Academic Department: Pathology
Technical Keywords: Infectious Disease, Antimicrobial Resistance
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant - Pathology to work under general supervision and instructions from the line manager. The Research Assistant - Pathology is expected to provide support services by performing technical work in a laboratory related to Research studies, maintain adequate laboratory supplies, ensure that all equipment are in working order, liaise with partner hospitals/labs on isolate retrieval, growth, storage and transport to KU for Research use. The post holder will be expected to spend time at the partner hospitals and labs to support the research aims and also to assist in clinical isolate and data selection and retrieval for study use as well as perform related duties as required.
The role requires individuals to undertake duties that require considerable technical knowledge and ability in the assigned field of specialization. The knowledge and experience of working in a Microbiology BSL2 lab is essential (BSL3 experience will be advantageous). Knowledge and experience of handling large clinical datasets and use of excel will be absolutely essential. The incumbent is expected to exercise independent judgement in the performance of duties and will be responsible for ensuring a safe working environment, maintain adequate stocks of all laboratory supplies, ensure that equipment are in working order and that adequate records of isolates collected are maintained to the highest standards.
- Ensure a safe working laboratory environment at CMHS, Khalifa University.
- Be responsible the research study laboratory and data retrieval aims and milestones
- Be flexible in working across CMHS labs and those of partner hospitals/labs
- Ensure that inventories, orders, receiving, and stocks materials, supplies, and equipment for laboratory use are maintained.
- Maintain records on isolates collected, used and stored as part of the research study
- Work with data teams to retrieve clinical data required associated with each isolate collected as part of the ongoing research study
- Be responsible for maintaining retrieved clinical datasets collected in research study
- Assist in maintaining security of laboratories, laboratory equipment, supplies, and materials
- Prepare all reagents and media required to perform microbiological analyses
- Prepare stains, solutions, and preservatives by mixing, bottling, and labeling as required by the study.
- Prepare all necessary required steps and procedures and follow protocols for all analytical equipment used to analyze study isolates
- Order, receive, and provide care for storage of cryopreserved isolates.
- Clean the each laboratory by washing, and if necessary, sterilizing tools, equipment, and supplies at the end of each day to ensure sterile and aseptic environments for microbiological work.
- Will be required to calibrate, maintain, and perform repairs on scientific equipment and supplies as needed.
- Maintain calibration logs of all pipettes used as part of the research study
- Maintain and keep a laboratory book detailing experiments and preliminary results for all isolates worked on
- Monitors production of, collects, and processes hazardous waste materials and toxic chemicals resulting from experimental work, collect and properly store/disposal of biohazard waste.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments, hospital and partner laboratory staff to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a related field (e.g. biomedical science) or equivalent combination of education/experience in the designated field of specialty for this position.
- Microbiology qualification and demonstrable experience is preferred
- First aid certificate is mandatory. This can be completed upon taking up this role.
This role requires at least 4-5-years of related experience in a field of Microbiology for this role. The successful applicant must also have the following experience:
- BSL2 Microbiology experience is essential
- Have the ability to troubleshoot basic hardware/software issues. Experience with statistical software package (i.e. SPSS) would be an advantage.
- Experience of microsoft excel is essential
- Worked in a team - works collaboratively with others to maximize individual and team effectiveness in order to achieve required service levels.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to demonstrate independent initiative.
- Good written and verbal communication and reporting capability.
- Learns quickly and responds effectively to changing operational needs and circumstances.
- Solving every-day experimental issues by quickly identifying possible corrective measures and recommending/ selecting the best solution.
The following attributes will be considered advantageous:
- Experience with health related learning technology and/or simulation.
- Experience in a clinical environment.
- Customer focused and excellent interpersonal skills.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Assistant
Job Type: Full-time