Laboratory Support and Instrumentation Officer
- Laboratory support role within Swinburne University
- Full time, 12-month position at our Hawthorn campus
- HEW 6 total remuneration package (TRP)
About the Role
The Technical Services team within the Swinburne University of Technology Academic Operations Unit are looking for a Laboratory Support and Instrumentation Officer to join their team.
The Laboratory Support and Instrumentation Officer will be responsible for supporting a range of teaching and research activities in the School of Science, Computing and Engineering Technologies (SoSCET). In this role, the successful candidate will be performing duties such as preparing for practical classes, set up and pull down of classes, troubleshoot experiments in collaboration with academics, advise students on techniques and equipment usage, sourcing and purchasing of consumables and equipment.
The incumbent will provide advice to staff and students on OH&S issues to ensure the safe and functional running of both undergraduate practical classes and research laboratories and general housekeeping of these spaces. It is expected that this position will work closely with academic, research and other technical staff on a day-to-day basis and operate with a strong focus on great customer service.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
- Experience in setting up laboratory practical classes in a higher education setting.
- Extensive experience in chemical management in relation to technical and laboratory operations, including an understanding of statutory requirements associated with chemical hazards
- Knowledge in the operation of a range of laboratory equipment and familiarity with the use of propriety software
- High degree of initiative to learn, develop, test and document experimental methods, with the ability to diagnose and resolve instrumentation issues
- Extensive experience in laboratory operations, demonstrated ability in ensuring laboratory compliance to relevant standards and regulations
- An Undergraduate Science Degree (Chemistry) and subsequent relevant experience
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
- Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
- Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
- Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
- Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing your suitability for this position.
To review the Position Description and to apply, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.
If you are viewing this advert from an external site, please click ‘apply’ and you will be redirected to Swinburne’s Jobs website to access the Position Description at the bottom of the page.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on email@example.com.
Applications Close: Sunday 1st October 2023, 11pm
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Equity and Diversity
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our Equity & Diversity website.
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant