Senior AV Technician
King’s College London is recruiting a Senior Audio Visual Technician to work within a dedicated AV team, supporting a wide range of AV and IT user-facing systems to deliver teaching and lectures as well as both internal and external events.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual with excellent customer service and technical skills who will deliver a first-class user experience for staff, students, and visitors via in-person support, telephone calls, email, and Microsoft Teams.
The role will primarily be based at our Waterloo Campus, which encompasses our buildings on the South Bank and at St Thomas Hospital. You will provide support to lecture theatres, classrooms, meeting rooms and event spaces. Your daily duties will include supporting both internal and external clients with AV bookings, and maintaining devices including Crestron control systems, PCs, data projectors, PA systems, lecture capture, hybrid solutions and other AV equipment.
Core responsibilities include supporting live events, ensuring that the required AV equipment is available and functioning in the rooms or delivered as required for lectures, functions, and events; using remote tools to monitor and assist users; audio and video recording of lectures and events; and support for hybrid meetings.
As a senior technician you will be the technical and customer escalation point for junior team members, help to identify service improvements, shape our AV standards, and be able to work independently or under the supervision of the AV Supervisor. You will have proven technical experience in an AV specialism with a good understanding of the underlying theory.
You will take the initiative in arranging and supporting events, maintenance issues and liaising with clients and 3rd line support as required or under the direction of the AV Supervisor.
There are two posts available. Both will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contracts.
- Supporting teaching, events, and meetings
- Install, monitor and maintain a broad range of technical AV equipment, systems and software
- Providing technical support to team members
- Managing support tickets and bookings within applicable SLAs
- Participate in the continual service improvement process
- To exercise sound professional and technical knowledge and to keep up to date with new developments / best practice
- To contribute to our knowledge base and documentation as required and adhere to University’s IT policy
- Function as an ambassador providing advice and knowledge where appropriate
- Assist in witness testing, ensuring adherence to the AV standards, as required
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Proven level of technical knowledge and understanding of a wide range of audio visual services such as display systems, PA systems, smart boards, visualisers, lecture capture, and other AV equipment, specifically Crestron, Dante and Q-SYS systems
2. Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
3. Must have demonstrable experience in AV or relevant technical industry experience (film/theatre/music/events).
4. Experience of working effectively as part of a team, particularly with regards to delivering services, problem solving and being a point of escalation.
5. Ability to work under pressure and meet challenging deadlines
6. Educated to degree level or equivalent (HNC, A level, NVQ 3, HND level or equivalent with relevant experience)
7. AV related technical qualification
8. Good standard of written and spoken English
9. Ability to manage and prioritise own workload effectively
10. Knowledge of computer (Windows, macOS and Linux) and mobile (iOS, iPadOS and Android) operating systems
11. Intermediate level of one of the following fields, and advanced level of two or more of their component disciplines:
a. Events support (event planning, stage management, live sound/lighting/vision mixing, videoconferencing)
b. Production (camera, lighting and sound; photography, video editing, sound mixing)
c. sound engineering, acoustics, electronics
d. Crestron programming (or similar)
e. AV integration and design
1. Able to install, configure, upgrade and test desktop computers (both Windows and macOS)
2. AV related membership of a recognised organisation (CTS, AES, IOA, AVIXA etc)
3. Previous experience in production of events from conception through to completion
Due to the service nature of the post out of hours work and attendance when necessary is expected as per the IT Systems Out of Hours arrangements.
This post is subject to an Occupational Health Clearance.