CL Manager Veterinarian (Animal Research Facility)
The Manager Veterinarian is responsible for overseeing the strategy and operations of the Animal Research Facility (ARF). This role ensures provision of comprehensive veterinary services. These include a biosecurity and biosafety program with controlled barriers and microbiological statuses, training programs to achieve highest competence of facility staff, technicians and scientists, a husbandry to nurture optimal animal welfare and research output, and the necessary support and guidance for ethical research and sound experimental design.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of the Research Laboratories strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the Research Laboratories policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the Research Laboratories budgets and reports on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
- Presents all new research requests to the Research Office
- Leads the Animal Care and Ethics Committee.
- Effectively leads, develops, motivates, and controls the performance of the ARF team.
- Advises on strategic decisions.
- Provides guidance on clinical cases and for experimental procedures, such as anesthesia, analgesia, euthanasia, surgical technique, recognition and reduction of pain, suffering, distress and lasting harm.
- Supports research relevant to the mission of the university and departments.
- Liaises with Facility Manager for day-to-day and proposed research activities approval.
- Participates in the conduct of scientific programs relevant to the mission of the research facility.
- Ensures availability of state-of-the-art biosecurity and health monitoring programs.
- Supports education, training, and competency of staff
- Maintains and develops relevant expertise with the species used by the research facility.
- Represents the research facility internationally and actively participates in its outstanding reputation.
- Applies latest advances and recommended practice in husbandry and care to the benefits of the research facility
- Liaises with the relevant university departments to facilitate optimal use of the building, software, and equipment, and their acquisition.
- Supervises imports/exports of animals, drugs and other requested material.
- Ensures that the research facility complies with regulations and quality requirements necessary to both National and International standards.
- Organizes the Animal Care and Ethics Committee and other bodies necessary to research acknowledgement.
- Must be capable of solving complex clinical problems in a rational and organized fashion.
- Must have demonstrable knowledge and understanding of international regulations and quality requirements relevant to the Animal Research unit.
- Must have a full understanding of health and safety requirements in relation to animal care and use, as per Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (ASPA).
- Must have evidence of and commitment to Continuous Professional Development.
- Must have good communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to relay straight forward and complex information to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Must have good interpersonal skills enabling the post holder to influence and deliver at all levels.
- Must have strong planning skills, the ability to prioritize in the face of competing demands, proven success in delivering work personally (and through others) to tight deadlines.
- Must have strong decision-making skills with the ability to use initiative and improvise in a changing environment.
- May take part in the training of technicians and personal license holders relating to animal welfare and health.
- May be involved in training in the conduct of minor procedures, surgical methods, anesthetic regimens, peri-operative care and assessment of competence.
- Must hold a personal license.
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
Qualifications & Experience
- Must hold a Veterinary degree with a post-graduate qualification in laboratory animal sciences or medicine (e.g., Dipl. ECLAM, Ph.D., DVM )
- Must hold an appropriate personal license to conduct regulated procedures for a scientific purpose
- Personal and project license authority (ASPA, AAALAS).
- Must have substantial demonstrable knowledge and practical experience of laboratory rodents
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of proven leadership and team management experience
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of research experience in laboratory animal medicine and microbiology.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A minimum of 12 years of relevant experience.
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job Type: Full-time