Post Doctoral Fellow, Physics
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on a KU funded project for developing a new type of energy storage devices. The aim of the project is to develop a new concept of high energy density storage and fast charging devices. The project will investigate different structures, nanomaterials, and designs to optimize the energy storage density and charging speed. The physical model will be developed and the operation mechanism will be established. Then the energy storage device will be tested for reliable applications in other electronics.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at KU and at the System on Chip Centre (https://www.ku.ac.ae/socc), and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Experience in thin film deposition using some techniques like ion sputtering, e-beam deposition, atomic layer deposition (ALD), CVD, PVD, etc.
- Experience with characterization equipment such as SEM, TEM, UHR-SEM, AFM, XRD, and others.
- Cleanroom experience.
- Nanomaterials synthesis and growth, like nanoparticles and quantum dots.
- Material testing techniques (like FTIR), Fluorescence microscopy, UV/Vis Spectrophotometry.
- Conducting electrical measurements using a nano-probe station.
- Handling paper drafting, patent drafting, and contributing to research proposal writing.
- Training new lab personnel on lab equipment, safety protocols, and standard operation procedures.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- PhD from a reputable university in Physics, materials science, electrical engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience in writing scientific or review papers
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time