About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking an experienced & highly motivated Research Scientist to provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to research mission of the University.
Since the Research Scientist experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Research Scientist tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
The Biotechnology Center at Khalifa University is The Khalifa lab is looking for a motivated Staff Scientist to help to discover new therapeutic targets (using bulk/single cell multi-omics) and to bridge the valley of death (by functionally validating these targets). As part of the research team, you will interact with an experienced team of laboratory technicians and researchers. We are looking for dynamic and flexible candidates, willing to step into new adventures, daring to break new grounds outside of their comfort zone, passionate about opportunities to set up new technologies and facilities, not being shy of diving into new fields, being primed and eager to become acquainted with new techniques.
- Leading the collaborative project, managing the project including supervising junior colleagues, planning daily agendas, managing budgets, writing publications and grant applications, designing experiments, etc
- Participates in scientific research as a professionally responsible member of the research team, participates in problem exploration, and definition, planning of the approach and sequence of steps, execution of experiments or studies, interpretation of findings, documentation and reporting of results and progress, maintenance of research records and compliance to all established policies and procedures;
- Regularly meets with the Advisor to apprise the Advisor of the research results, for the development and troubleshooting of techniques, to provide direction and focus to the research, to air concerns and conflicts, and to express mutual expectations;
- Publishes research results in a journal appropriate to the field in a timely manner, may present findings at meetings;
- Participates in writing grant applications and proposals that pertain to the research;
- Contributes to the overall activities of the research team and the department, as required;
- Undertakes a limited amount of teaching in relation to subject area and mentors graduate students and/or undergraduates under the supervision of the Advisor;
- Performs other similar or related duties as and when assigned by the Advisor
- Successful candidates will join the Biotechnology Center and will be expected to initiate and lead funded research projects in the Genome Field.
- Carries out research and produces publications, or other research output, in line with personal objectives agreed in the review process.
- Engages in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
- Contributes to research center or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Fosters service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental and advisory capacity.
- Supports and participates in research activities.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- ·Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- PhD or equivalent in biology, biomedicine, genomics, computer science, bioinformatics, pharmacy, or other related fields – vascular/immunology expertise is an advantage, but not mandatory.
- At least four (4) years post-doctoral research experience and H-Index in SCOPUS/Google Scholar of at least 8
- Expert level knowledge project subject area as evidenced by relevant publications and or patents
- Track record of contributing to the writing of successful research grants
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to lead work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Substantial experience with Genomics, Biology, cancer, and multi-omics.
- Demonstrated analysis skills in complex disease (Diabetes, cardiovascular disease) omics association studies.
- Experience on working in an ISO accredited laboratory, maintain SOPs, and PT testing
- You have solid experience in a research lab environment (>4-5 years).
- Substantial experience with Genomics, Biology statistical, and epidemiologic data analysis.
- Demonstrated computational analysis skills in complex disease (Diabetes, cardiovascular disease) omics association studies.
- Experience and training in genomic analyses, Bayesian mapping and epidemiology.
- You are interested and motivated to work on ambitious projects in an open, dynamic, competitive and driven team.
- You are flexible and willing to learn new technologies.
- You maintain excellent organizational skills; you can work in a team as well as independently.
- Good English communication skills, both oral and written, are expected.
- PhD from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
- Experience leading competitive research grants as principal investigator or named co-investigator in the project team
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Scientist
Job Type: Full-time