Assistant Professor at the Department of History
Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Department: Department of History, Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University
Working time: 1,0
Start date: February 1, 2024
Number of open positions: 1 - (a substitute for maternity leave)
Application deadline: 14.10.2023
The Department of History at MU, Faculty of Arts, is looking for a colleague with a specialization in modern history (19th- and early 20th century). The preferred candidate is ready to hold a position combining scientific and teaching duties. We offer a stable working environment along with significant administrative and specialist help in research work.
Expected job description:
- Teaching courses for Bachelor and Master students: Modern history (History of the Czech Lands/Habsburg monarchy or general history/world history/global history); facultative courses according to own specialization. Workload: 3 courses in the first year, 3-4 courses per semester in the following years.
- Independent research, preparation of research projects.
- Organization of academic symposia.
Requirements for applicants:
- Completed doctoral studies (Ph.D.).
- International work experience (scholarships, research visits, participation in projects).
- Ability to give lectures and seminars in Czech and English.
- Ability to produce individual research work.
- Willingness to be involved in research projects on an international basis.
- Former experience in editorial work is welcome.
- employment in a prestigious institution that has won the international HR Excellence in Research Award
- openness to suggestions in the field of teaching, science and popularisation of the programme
- convenient location of the faculty in the city centre
- a friendly approach to reconciling work and personal life
- 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, flexible working hours with the possibility to work partly from home for better work life balance, meal allowance in the salary or for meals in canteens, pension insurance contribution, selected vaccinations free of charge, favourable mobile tariffs Vodafone, Multisport card, sports lessons organized by the Faculty of Sports Studies, the possibility to place your child in the nursery school Elánek near the faculty.
Training and Development
- Opportunities for training and personal development, e.g., language and other courses provided by MU, use of MU libraries, use of placements and mobilities abroad, participation in conferences, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application via the electronic application link by 14. 10. 2023 (please use the link in the Electronic Application section below) and please attach all required documents.
The following documents are required as part of your application:
- Structured CV
- Structured CV with an overview of previous work experience (employment, participation in academic projects, publications, other).
- Qualification documentation.
Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation of acceptance to your e-mail address. After the e-application deadline, you will receive information about the next steps.
- submitting of all required documents in the e-application
- compliance of the candidate's profile with the requirements for the job as stated above
Provision of the required documents when submitting the e-application:
In case of non-delivery of documents when submitting the e-application, the candidate may be asked to provide them at most once by a certain date. If they fail to submit the materials by this deadline, they will not be included in the next round of the selection procedure.
Suitable candidates will be invited to a personal interview, which may also take the form of a videoconference.
Selection procedures rules at the Faculty of Arts of MU can be found on our careers page here.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY, THE FACULTY AND THE DEPARTMENT
Masaryk University is the second largest university in the Czech Republic, with 10 faculties and a number of other specialized units, more than 6,000 employees and 32,000 students. We are a university with a wide range of research areas in the humanities and natural sciences and a strong international position. Our mission is to provide education and research of the highest quality.
The Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University is one of the four founding faculties of Masaryk University and since its foundation in 1919 it has been not only an important centre of humanities and social science education, science, research and development, but also an institution that actively participates in shaping the cultural life of the city and the region.
Traditionally, it has been profiled as a research-oriented faculty generating approximately one fifth of MU's research volume. The faculty has more than 600 employees and by the student population of over 6,000 is the largest faculty at the university.
Since 2021, the faculty has been the proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission.
You can find out more information about the faculty on the website https://www.phil.muni.cz/en/ or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FacultyofArtsMasarykUniversity.
For information on HR work set according to European standards, visit the HR Award faculty website:
The Institute of History is one of the founding departments of the MU Faculty of Arts. It is one of the leading educational and scientific institutions in the Czech Republic in the field of history. Its employees are primarily engaged in the study of provincial and broader Central European history, historiography and methodology in historical sciences, and last but not least, the didactics of history. All relevant information can be found on the Institute's website www.historie.phil.muni.cz/en.
Contact person at the workplace for any questions applicants may have about the position:
doc. Mgr. Tomáš Malý, Ph.D., e-mail: email@example.com