University Assistant Predoctoral, Philological and Cultural Studies
45 Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies
Startdate: 15.11.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 14.11.2027
Reference no.: 1229
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
As a university assistant prae doc at the Institute for Romance Studies, you will participate in reserach and teaching in the work and research area of Professor Sartingen. Our research focuses on Portuguese and Spanish literature and media studies. The research interests of the department include Latin American, African and Iberian literatures, film and theater landscapes, transatlantic relations between Iberia, Latin America and Africa, colonial and postcolonial issues and theories.
Your future tasks:
You actively participate in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You are involved in research projects and scientific studies in the work and research area.
- We expect you to finalize your dissertation agreement within 12-18 months.
- You work on your dissertation and its completion.
- You hold courses independently within the scope of the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
- You take on administrative tasks in research, teaching and administration.
- You participate in the organization of conferences and meetings.
This is part of your personality:
- Completed Master's degree or Diploma, in the field of Romance Studies, with a focus on Portuguese and/or Spanish literature and media studies.
- An additional qualification in cultural studies is desirable, also a focus on Latin America or Lusophone Africa.
- Advanced knowledge of Portuguese is essential, knowledge of Spanish desirable.
- Basic experience in academic writing and with relevant research methods,
- didactic competences, experience with e-learning,
- IT user skill,
- excellent command of written and spoken German and very good command of English are necessary.
- You should be a team player with high social skills.
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
The employment duration is 4 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 4 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
It is that easy to apply:
- With your letter of intent
- With your scientific curriculum vitae
- With your summary of research interests and ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal (max. 3 p.)
- With your publication list
- Master Degree certificate / Diploma certificate
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 10/22/2023