Director, Innovative Planet Research Institute
Our Swinburne Research 2025 strategy has established six strategic focus Flagship areas (Space and Aerospace, Innovative Planet, MedTech and Health Innovation, Manufacturing Futures, Digital Capability and Innovative Society). The new Innovative Planet Research Institute supports the transition towards a more innovative and sustainable society, encompassing renewable technologies, and circular economy, energy transition, smart cities and urban futures, hydrogen technology, advanced composites, together with new ways of advancing change through the social sciences and humanities.
Reporting to the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Impact), the Director will facilitate interdisciplinary, impactful research and support the University’s 2025 Strategic Plans. The Director of the Innovative Planet Research Institute will work closely with Pro Vice-Chancellors, Centre Directors, Institute and Platform Directors, and researchers in Swinburne’s Schools, Departments, and Centres. The Director will be a member of the Swinburne Research Leadership Team and the University Research Executive Group.
The Director will currently lead a research program aligned with the Institute themes and demonstrate by example, their research excellence and externally engaged, collaborative research capability and achievements. They will have strong collaboration, teamwork, and leadership skills, at Associate Professor or Professor level or equivalent, to support excellence in research, research training, industry partnerships and professional activities in their academic discipline within the University and the wider community.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
- Working closely with the PVC Research Impact and PVC Flagship Initiatives to lead and grow the Innovative Planet Flagship, including further development of the University’s Strategic and Operational Plans;
- Work collaboratively across the university to facilitate, develop and lead crossdisciplinary research programs and initiatives within the Innovative Planet Flagship Research Area with the goal of improving profile, performance, impact and funding;
- Build strong partnerships with external stakeholders that translate into submissions of viable projects for funding to deliver transformative outcomes.
- Drive growth in high quality publications and citations in research areas related to the Innovative Planet Research Institute;
- Attract significant external research income in support of research growth of the University.
If you are interested in learning more about this appointment, please contact the executive search consultants assisting the University, Dr Rohan Carr or Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group by phone: +61 3 9654 3288 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.