- Pathology Technician- Mary Lyon Centre
- Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
- Full Time (36 hours per week)
- £25,798–£27,501 per annum (depending on experience)
The Mary Lyon Centre at MRC Harwell (MLC) https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/ is located in an expanding science innovation park in Oxfordshire and is an internationally renowned centre at the forefront of genetics research. As the hub of the new National Mouse Genetics Network, the specialist facilities and capabilities of the MLC support a number of distinct research clusters spread across the UK to accelerate our understanding of human disease.
About the Role
The Pathology team at the Mary Lyon Centre is a team of dedicated individuals who assist with the key mission of utilising mouse models for the preclinical study of human disease. Data produced by this team informs researchers around the UK and across the world about the roles of many mammalian genes and how they might lead to disease in humans.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Pathology Technician to join our team and be responsible for providing necropsy support within the Pathology department. You will perform dissections, including specialised techniques such as perfusions, and deliver samples of tissue for embedding and processing.
- Performance of dissections including specialised techniques e.g. perfusions
- Selection of tissues for embedding prior to tissue processing
- Tissue cut-in, embedding and processing of tissues
- Cutting of sections and basic staining
- Authorship, review and compliance of SOPs, risk assessments and COSHH
- Ensuring that all consumables, reagents and chemicals are logged and stored
- Ensuring that all samples are logged, stored and archived appropriately; e.g., in the wet tissue archive/frozen tissue archive
You will have:
- Record of training in necropsy
- Experience of routine rodent necropsy techniques
- Competence and knowledge in necropsy principles and practice
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible approach to work to ensure that changing priorities and deadlines are met
- Ability to work on day-to-day functions, both independently and as part of a team
- An in-depth knowledge of mouse anatomy and physiology would be desirable
For the full job description, please visit our site at the link below.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits, from a defined-benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement, to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and a salary sacrifice cycle-to-work scheme. In addition, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the work of a world-class medical research organisation.
How to Apply:
For full details and to apply please click apply.
Please quote reference MLC 2243
The closing date for applications is 1 Oct 2023