Assistant / Associate / Full Professor of Medical Biochemistry
Department Name: College of Medicine
Qatar University Profile:
Founded in 1977, Qatar University (QU) is the only national university in the country and, consequently, enjoys the enthusiastic support of its government and citizens. With a portfolio of undergraduate and emerging graduate programs, the University encourages a vibrant culture of research and community outreach in line with national needs and priorities. The University hosts eight colleges with a majority of its academic programs holding accreditation or equivalency status from noteworthy international accrediting agencies.
With a student population of about 16,000, most of whom are Qatari, but including over fifty nationalities, QU reflects the national identity as well as the rich multi-cultural aspects of the country. Qatar University has an international faculty dedicated to a vigorous teaching and learning environment complemented with community-driven research. Historically a university primarily offering undergraduate programs, QU has in recent years developed a portfolio of many Master’s and PhD programs with others under development.
The University is located in Doha, Qatar, a vibrant modern city where visitors and expatriate residents will find the Qatari people to be very welcoming and the culture very dynamic. The State of Qatar is a small, oil rich peninsula in the Arabian Gulf, with substantial oil and natural gas reserves. It is one of the wealthiest states in the region and has developed high-quality education and health care sectors. The country has dedicated 2.8% of its revenue to fund scientific research. With Arabic as the national language, English is spoken in all quarters. Doha offers all of the modern conveniences and technology found in the world’s major cities and a safe and high quality of life.
The College of Medicine is the eighth college of Qatar University and was founded in October 2014. Offering a 6-year MD program, it will admit the first cohort of students in Fall 2015 with the vision to educate the future leaders of Qatar’s healthcare system. The College is fully aligned with Qatar’s national strategies in Education and Health, as well as Qatar University’s strategic plan including a growing focus on, and extensive opportunities for, high-quality research. Commissioned by HH the Emir of Qatar and established based on a thorough feasibility study conducted by a group of national and international experts, the College of Medicine is guided by an advisory board with senior representation from top-tier universities such as Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University, American University of Beirut and other noteworthy institutions. It holds its members to the highest levels of professionalism and international quality standards with the aim of building a program that is at the forefront of medical education.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Passion for building an innovative College of Medicine for the state of Qatar.
- Strong commitment to teaching, with proficiency in teaching medical biochemistry.
- Contributes to the enhancement and development of other medical courses.
- Promoting collaborative and interdisciplinary research in areas of priority for the medical college.
- Fostering a supportive environment for students.
- Fostering academic and interdisciplinary research links with the relevant departments and centers at the University.
- Promoting and communicating the work of College to the public through a variety of community outreach activities, including workshops, lectures, publications, etc.
- Participates in the formulation and implementation of the College’s strategic plan in alignment with the strategic plan of the University.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD with evidence of scholarship in medical biochemistry or closely related disciplines. Additional MD degree preferred.
- Strong background and demonstrated excellence in the teaching of medical biochemistry in a medical context, preferably in problem based learning environment and in a case based integrated curriculum; includes teaching at a university entry level for incoming students.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and continually improve a curriculum in the relevant area.
- Clear evidence of outstanding scholarship in (medical) education.
- A strong record of relevant research experience backed with a strong track record of research productivity, including publications.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal and administrative skills.
- Expected to demonstrate excellence in interpersonal behaviors and be committed to effective collaboration with colleagues.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic (both written and verbal) is preferred.
- Current Curriculum Vitea.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category: Academic
End Date of Advertisment: 30-May-2024