Employee Relations (ER) Coordinator
About the Role
The Employee Relations (ER) team provides high-quality HR advice and guidance to managers and employees, ensuring that administrative responsibilities and activities are supported. The main purposes of this role are:
- To provide first line procedural ER advice and support to line managers and employees across the university on relevant aspects of HR.
- Manage straight forward case work and provide administrative support relating to more complex cases alongside other colleagues in HR and beyond.
- Aligned to the People Services Team, you will liaise with the HR Operations team to support operational delivery of first line advice and guidance to managers and employees.
This is a great opportunity to join a team formed in May 2022 to contribute to and shape the university’s approach to employee relations.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post (35 hours per week)
- Advise managers on informal casework, such as how to manage performance and sickness absence.
- Provide basic procedural advice to managers and staff and to escalate complex issues to the Employee Relations Consultant.
- Under the guidance of management, manage straight-forward casework. They will be expected to provide technical support and advice associated with this.
- Responsible for undertaking the administrative support related to casework and to act as a notetaker for the team.
- Assist with the collation, data entry and maintenance of the casework management information system.
- To attend formal Investigations, Hearings and Appeals in the capacity of notetaker, responsible to making a note of the key issues which arise during the meeting and follow up as appropriate.
- Responsible for coordinating the administration and organisation of setting up each stage of a formal process, e.g. booking rooms, coordinating meeting times, collating supporting evidence for cases and disseminating paperwork to relevant parties as required.
- As and when required provide procedural advice to line managers, Heads of Department/Service and employees on a broad range of HR processes relating to employee relations (disciplinary, grievance, sickness, probation,) and other issues relating to terms and conditions.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining case files and generating standard letters relating to case progression to employees under the guidance of the Employee Relations Consultant.
- Creating and maintaining electronic files and filing systems.
- Preparation of case management data and reports.
- To participate in delivering training sessions to line managers on an as and when basis.
- Liaise with departmental contacts, People Partners, and Employee Relations Consultants to ensure excellent customer service.
- Be meticulous, attention to details is paramount, ensuring absolute data accuracy on the HR Digital Services platform and employee records.
- Develop a personal knowledge of HR best practice, employment processes and King’s policies and procedures.
- Manage and prioritise large workloads with varying tasks and deadlines.
- Operate flexibly within the department to meet peak and changing requirements throughout the year.
- Collaborate with, support and assist other members of the wider People Services hub to ensure the best possible service to our stakeholders.
- Support on key projects and audits as required to continually improve and adapt our service.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to A level or equivalent
- A good understanding of employment practice in relation to Employee Relations issues
- Ability to gain a good understanding of policies and procedures in order to be able to provide managers and staff with advice in relation to formal procedures
- Excellent customer service skills (i.e. the ability to juggle conflicting demands and manager customer expectations effectively, to be diplomatic and tactful)
- Ability to demonstrate absolute attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Effective prioritisation of individual workloads and proactively tackling a large team workload
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to form and maintain excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent customer service skills (i.e. the ability to juggle conflicting demands and manage customer expectations effectively, to be diplomatic and tactful)
- Degree level education or equivalent
- Previous HR Employee Relations Experience