Head of School, Public Health and Social Work
Who are we looking for?
We're seeking a distinguished scholar to lead one of Australia's premier schools in Public Health and Social Work. This is an exceptional opportunity for a leader in a relevant discipline, someone with the strategic acumen and passion to lead one of Australia's premier schools in Public Health and Social Work forward.
As Head of School, you will advance the School's record of excellent research, teaching and care. You will lead a vibrant, flagship area within QUT's Faculty of Health. Demonstrating a clear bent for collaboration, including experience building interdisciplinary partnerships, you will also have a firm grasp on contemporary issues in higher education and health and a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion and safety.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the area
The School of Public Health and Social Work is a dynamic and progressive School that has an excellent reputation for high quality teaching, research and services across four disciplines: Social Work and Human Services; Health Management; Public Health and Health Safety and Environment (HSE). Through our research, teaching, and community and industry partnerships, the School of Public Health and Social Work strives for a healthy, fair and inclusive society.
We deliver courses and research that respond to the demand for better public health services, the promotion of better health and wellbeing, the promotion of social justice and human rights, improved promotion, prevention and treatment of disease and illness and policy development to achieve healthier, fairer, more inclusive societies.
What you need to succeed
You will thrive in this role as an experienced and dynamic leader within one of the following disciplines: Public Health, Health Management, Social Work and Human Services, or Health Safety and Environment. You will possess the capability to drive research expansion, educational enhancement, and a passion for interdisciplinary collaboration. Your leadership will inspire the next generation, blending real-world practice with impactful research projects aimed at improving health, wellbeing, and disease prevention.
- Highly developed leadership ability as demonstrated by success in achieving objectives and in contributing to improved organisational performance.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and management of large-scale teams, facilities, resources, and impactful innovation.
- An internationally recognised record of excellence in research and/or scholarship.
- Proven capacity for strategic leadership of learning and teaching and academic research.
- Substantial skills in promoting and fostering collaborative interdisciplinary endeavours and to build partnerships.
- Evidence of effective responses to contemporary issues in higher education and health.
- High level communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive team culture and effectively interact with a range of staff in a complex operating environment.
- Sound knowledge of equal employment opportunity and equity principles and of the principles of workplace health and safety with a demonstrated commitment to implementation at both the strategic and operational levels.
Careers at QUT
Our culture is vibrant, inspiring and challenging. It's a world where like-minds come together with a commitment to making a real world difference. Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT offers:
- A healthy work-life balance with a blend of on campus and off campus work arrangements for applicable positions.
- 17% super, to help you retire in style.
- Support for primary carers with 26 weeks paid parental leave (incl. 17% super).
- Take advantage of our Salary Packaging Scheme, stay healthy with Fitness Passport and enjoy discounted rates on private health insurance.
- 17.5% leave loading.
- Numerous opportunities for professional development including leadership programs, workshops, and certifications including our study assistance scheme.
- Commitment to our Indigenous Australian staff through initiatives such as the Indigenous Australian Staff Network, Cultural and Ceremonial Leave, Staff Development Workshops, and representation on university committees.
- Diversity and inclusion the LGBTIQA+ community is welcome here.
We are guided by our values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, Innovation, and Academic Freedom and our QUT Connections in our mission to inspire and shape the next generation of change-makers.
In support of our Indigenous Australians Employment Strategy, we aspire to an Indigenous Australian workforce participation of 3.6% and we encourage Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people to join us in pursuing a fulfilling career.
We believe in creating safe spaces for inclusivity to flourish and we know that diversity is our strength – see our commitment. If you’re curious, innovative, and ready to experience what a career at QUT can offer, we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply:
To receive a candidate prospectus and to submit your application, please contact Dr Rohan Carr or Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group for this vacancy.
Phone: +61 3 9654 3288
When applying for this position your application must include the following:
- A cover letter articulating your vision for the role;
- A written response (maximum of two pages) addressing the selection criteria; and,
- A comprehensive CV.
QUT Reference number: 23851
Term: This appointment will be offered on a (5) five-year fixed- term, full-time basis.
Remuneration: An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Location: Kelvin Grove campus
Applications Close: 16-Oct-2023 at 11:59 pm