Assistant Professor of Journalism
Assistant Professor of Journalism
Requisition Number: 51343
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date: 10-Oct-2023
The Department of Journalism in the College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a tenure-track professor of journalism studies at the assistant rank.
The successful candidate will identify within the broad field of journalism studies, but specialize in, potentially, one of the following areas: technology and journalism; race and journalism; political communication; media sociology; misinformation; local, community or rural journalism; data journalism; visual storytelling; immersive journalism; sports and journalism; gender/sexuality and journalism; environmental, science or health journalism; media law and ethics; and more.
The position will begin in August of 2024.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
In 2022, the Department of Journalism at the University of Colorado-Boulder celebrated its 100th anniversary as a degree-granting organization within CU Boulder. Faculty members are prominent in both the academic and professional organizations. The Department of Journalism is a vibrant and engaged community of scholars and practitioners who share a commitment to the highest ethical and innovative ways to teach and research about journalism. The Department offers BA and MA degrees in journalism. The Department also offers a PhD degree in journalism studies.
Established in 2015, the College of Media, Communication and Information is at the forefront of the revolution in communication and digital technology. CMCI prides itself on offering students an interdisciplinary education with a focus on innovation and creativity. Our students and faculty from six departments think across boundaries, innovate around emerging problems and create culture that transcends convention.
CMCI strives to be a community whose excellence is premised on diversity, equity, access and inclusion. We seek candidates who share this commitment and demonstrate understanding of the experiences of those historically underrepresented in higher education. We welcome applications from minoritized racial and ethnic identities, ciswomen, non-normative genders and sexualities, persons with disabilities, and others who have encountered legacies of marginalization.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The successful candidate must be well-grounded in journalism studies and open to creative interchange with colleagues practicing a variety of qualitative, quantitative and practice-based methodologies while researching and teaching journalism and media through both a social science and humanistic approach. They should also have demonstrated commitment to and experience with inclusive pedagogies and the mentoring of a diverse range of undergraduate and graduate students. The position is 40% teaching, 40% research, and 20% service and involves teaching two classes per semester.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $78,000 to $85,000 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be curious. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Masters or terminal degree, or Ph.D. candidate who is ABD.
- Post-secondary teaching experience in journalism or allied fields.
- Evidence of scholarly or creative research in journalism or allied fields.
Please apply by October 10, 2023 for consideration.
To apply, please submit the following materials online:
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position and summarizing your personal academic goals.
- During the application process you will need to enter contact information for three (3) references. We will request letters of recommendation later in the search process. This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
- Evidence of Teaching Success (uploaded in PDF format) that includes a statement that details your commitment and experience with issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in the classroom and with mentoring.
- Professional Publications (uploaded in PDF format): Please submit a copy of one (1) published article or other representative research.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Assistant-Professor-of-Journalism/51343
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More searches like this
- Communication & Media Studies Academic Posts jobs in Boulder
- Communication & Media Studies Professors / Chairs jobs in Boulder
- Communication & Media Studies Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Boulder
- Communication & Media Studies Professional Services jobs in Boulder
- Communication & Media Studies Library / Records / Information Management jobs in Boulder