Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Requisition Number: 51334
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date:
The College of Music at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a tenure-track position in Music Theory at the rank of Assistant Professor.
The candidate would join a dynamic and collegial music theory faculty of five theorists, and a music faculty of over seventy full-time colleagues. We seek someone whose research areas complement those of our current faculty. Candidate research areas of particular interest include:
- Music cognition and empirical approaches
- Theory and analysis of world musics
- Music theory pedagogy
- Music, multimedia, and dance
- History of theory
Who We Are
The College of Music, founded in 1920, is recognized as one of the top comprehensive music schools in the country. The College of Music offers seven degree programs in over 28 fields of study, at the bachelor’s level through the doctorate. Our dedicated and encouraging community of 550 degree-seeking students, 70 full-time faculty, 30 part-time faculty, and 30 professional, technical and administrative staff produces over 350 performances and numerous guest lectures, master-classes, and outreach events each year.
The College of Music offers an MM degree in Music Theory. Our Masters students who have gone on to PhD programs have subsequently earned full-time teaching positions at Eastman School of Music, Cleveland Institute of Music, Harvard University, Wake Forest University, and James Madison University. The College also offers undergraduate and graduate Certificates in Music Theory.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
We seek to appoint an individual who will maintain an active national/international research profile. The successful applicant will also be expected to teach two courses per semester, advise graduate students, and participate on College-wide committees.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $69,000 - $76,500 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be accomplished. Be inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A completed PhD in Music Theory is preferred; ABD applicants will be considered.
For full consideration, please apply by October 15, 2023. The search will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit the following materials online:
- A current curriculum vitae.
- A cover letter that describes how you will embrace the college's commitment to inclusive excellence, and include how your work may have made a difference to underserved communities and/or the inclusiveness of your academic fields.
- During the application process you will need to enter contact information for three (3) references. An email message with instructions about uploading letters of reference will be sent automatically to each of your reference providers immediately after you submit your completed application. This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
- Writing Samples: Please submit two (2) samples of scholarly writing (uploaded as a single PDF).
- Please submit two (2) sample syllabi (one undergraduate and one graduate course syllabus; uploaded as a single PDF).
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Assistant-Professor-of-Music-Theory/51334
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency