Associate Professor in Finance (Teaching & Research)
- Full-Time, continuing Associate Professor (tenure-track equivalent) position in Finance
- Contribute to world class Finance research and education within the University of Sydney Business School, in a collaborative and supportive environment
- Base Salary $174,618- $192,371+ 17% superannuation + competitive market loading
About the opportunity
The Discipline of Finance in the University of Sydney Business School is recruiting talented and ambitious senior academics to join our dynamic and diverse team. Your leadership in this position is crucial in further elevating the Discipline's profile and impact locally, nationally, and internationally in line with the University of Sydney Business School's purpose-driven Strategy 2023-27, and the University of Sydney's "Sydney in 2032" strategy. We offer a vibrant and innovation-driven environment, located in Sydney, Australia's largest financial centre. Working on topics at the forefront of finance scholarship, you will be an internationally recognised scholar, actively engaged with a wide range of academic, industry, government and community stakeholders, deepening understanding and developing solutions to the most pressing challenges. Your research agenda will be supported by a thriving PhD program, an extensive set of database subscriptions, and significant internal research funding support. We are leaders in business education and offer cutting edge curricula in undergraduate, postgraduate and post experience programs to our outstanding student and alumni body, and provide future focused opportunities to support graduates and professionals throughout their career and life journeys.
The Discipline welcomes applications from all areas of finance. We particularly encourage applicants that have developed expertise in emerging fields of research, including financial technology, digital finance, financial innovations, ESG, sustainable investment, and the application of big data and AI in Finance.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- work successfully in a collegial team environment, taking leadership in developing that team
- extending your outstanding record of academic excellence in research
- modeling and supporting an ambitious research culture in a spirit of positivity, collaboration and cooperation
- engage with the School's expanding program of multi-disciplinary and industry research collaborations
- design and deliver innovative educational offerings to culturally and linguistically diverse learners
- demonstrate a strong commitment to lifelong learning and responsible management education
- contribute actively to the leadership, governance and service activities within the Discipline, School and University.
We are looking for ambitious mid-career researchers with a record of high-quality research, excellence in teaching, a commitment to service, and a capability to lead team-based initiatives. The Discipline is seeking to make one appointment at Associate Professor level for an academic who demonstrates:
- an active and internationally recognized research program including high-quality outputs in top-tier journals in finance and related fields
- an established record of research income generation evidenced by research grants and research contracts/consultancies. A willingness to support junior staff with funding applications is highly valued
- a track record of developing and maintaining strong links with industry and regulators
- a consistent record of high-quality teaching in Finance at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- ability to work effectively in a team environment both in research and teaching
- willingness and ambition to contribute to academic leadership, staff development and management in a team setting, encouraging and developing a positive and ambitious research culture.
To be considered for this position, please provide a CV and a cover letter which demonstrates your suitability and enthusiasm for this role. These will provide evidence of how your experience and scholarship aligns with the role and should be uploaded online, along with any additional information you may have in support of your application.
Our Discipline members will be attending the Financial Management Association meeting (Chicago) in October. Please indicate in your application if you would like to have an initial introductory meeting with us at the FMA meeting to learn more about the opportunity.
Following the FMA meeting, we will conduct online screening interviews, to be followed by an on-campus job market presentation and formal interview for each short-listed candidate, until all positions are filled. Our process may continue until the American Finance Association meeting (San Antonio) in January 2024.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Visa sponsorship is available for these positions.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, Job Market Paper and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
If you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Lena Jiang, Recruitment Operations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 22 October 2023 11:59 PM