Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £29,605 to £33,966 Per annum
Full Time Fixed Term until 31/07/2026
Closing Date: Thursday 28 September 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
This is an exceptional time to be joining the University of Southampton and its Digital Learning Team within the University’s IT department, iSolutions. The Digital Learning team has a pivotal role in enabling Faculties to re-design their teaching and learning for online and blended models, creating high-quality and transformative student experiences. We are about to embark on a major 3 year migration to Blackboard Ultra, presenting a great opportunity to review online learning content and practice across the university, and improve accessibility and inclusivity as we do so.
The Digital Learning Team is all about connecting ideas, people and expertise, as well as creating high-quality, impactful learning resources for staff and students. We work in close partnership with Faculties, the Centre for Higher Education Practice and other professional services to identify the most effective ways to innovate and enhance teaching and learning using technology.
About the Role
This is a key role in supporting the migration of approximately 5000 Blackboard modules from Classic Learn to Ultra over a 3 year period. Learning Technologists will work with Learning Designers and Media Producers in Digital Learning and across the wider Education Services team.
What you’ll do
- Analyse the current learning material and facilitate the moving and updating of learning material, ensuring that it meets WCAG 2.2 standards.
- Deliver training materials (developed by/with Learning Designers and Application Specialists) and support material to academic staff.
- Provide deskside support for academic staff in becoming proficient in using Ultra features.
- Create training materials for students.
- Work closely with academic staff to fully support the transition of learning materials and the implementation of new resources such as formative assessment opportunities.
- Implement features such as adaptive release where required in modules, including bespoke handover how-to guides.
What you’ll bring
- The ability to present your ideas and your specialist area to a wide and potentially non-technical audience.
- Proficiency in using a range of virtual learning environments and educational technologies.
- Demonstrable experience in producing accessible file formats.
- A well-developed understanding of WCAG 2.1 standards and their relevance to educational resources.
The University of Southampton is a research-driven institution, home to some of the world’s leading minds, expanding our knowledge and passing it on to future generations. iSolutions is the University’s IT support service whose 230+ staff support the delivery of the university’s research and education activities as well as enterprise business operations. We would love you to join us and help change the world for the better.
The University of Southampton promotes a healthy work-life balance with generous holiday allowance (30+ days), defined benefit pension, flexi-time and flexible working, generous parental leave and childcare provision. For more information on our benefits, please visit our human resources pages.