Assistant / Associate / Full Professor, Health Professional Education
Position Title: Assistant/associate/full professor
College/Department: Department of Health Professional Education (Health Cluster)
Reports To: Director, MSc in Health Professional Education
- Faculty members (within Health Cluster)
- Assigned College academic departments
- Healthcare providers (e.g. Hamad Medical Corporation, Sidra, Primary Health Care Centers, etc)
Job Summary and Key Responsibilities
Applicants will primarily be responsible for the development, creation, refinement, and deployment of courses within the MSc for Health Professional Education program. The professor will be responsible for supervising MSc students as primary and co-supervisor. Applicants will support and maintain the University’s national and international reputation for excellence in teaching and research, and contribute to the services of the department/faculty, university and external partners.
- Teach courses in their area of expertise such as but not limited to Health Professional Education and others related to the background expertise of the individual (e.g. MDs may contribute to the College of Medicine, Pharmacists may contribute to the College of Pharmacy, etc.) including research projects, at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Responsible for course development and participation in curriculum and program development in the MSc HPE program, as well as their area of expertise.
- Meet all instructional and advising responsibilities as specified in the policies and procedures.
- Participate in scholarly and research activities which enhance their professional development and scientific contributions to their discipline.
- Serve as appropriate in the department, college and university committees.
- Provide professional services to the University and community
- Perform other tasks and duties that may be occasionally required in order to meet the requirements of the role and the aims of the University.
Education and Certifications
- A PhD or equivalent in Health Professional Education/Medical Education/Clinical Education etc. or relevant field is strongly preferred.
- A terminal professional degree (e.g. MD, MBBCh, PharmD, etc.) with MSc in Health Professions Education/Medical Education/Clinical Education with substantial experience and publication records may be considered.
- English (excellent written and oral communication skills)
- Arabic considered an asset, but not a requirement
- Evidence of relevant research potential, including potential to publish in appropriate leading journals.
- Evidence of ability in teaching example able to use a range of delivery techniques to engage the interest and enthusiasm of students and inspire them to learn. Blended or online teaching experience is an advantage.
- Familiar with educational technologies used in higher education sector.
- Ability to initiate development in the curriculum and to take responsibility for the effective and efficient delivery of teaching programs, developing the curriculum and appropriate assessment techniques.
- Understanding of equal opportunity issues as they may impact on areas of teaching.
- Engaged in continuous professional development.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate well to colleagues and different kinds of students.
- Ability to perform to required deadlines and to initiate, plan, organize and deliver programs of work.
- Behavioral Competencies
- Proficiency Level
- Attention to Detail
- Interactive Communication
- Reliability and Dependability
- Relationship Building
- Teamwork and Collaborative Working
- Service Excellence
- Time Management
- Organizational Awareness
- Technical Competencies
- Proficiency Level
- Microsoft Office Suite
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- The number of credit hours taught.
- The number of research papers published.
- The number of MSc students supervised and co-supervised.