Research Fellow / Engineer (Mechanical) - EL2
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where you will be part of the research team to design and develop a novel test method for inspecting anchor bolts.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PIs and the research team members to ensure that project deliverables are met.
- Undertake a number of the following primary responsibilities in the project:
i. design customised test probes for anchor bolts
ii. develop test instrumentation and inspection process for practical application on-site
iii. experiment the developed test system on damaged anchor bolts to analyse results and measure system performance
iv. co-supervise students who are working on the research project
v. present project outputs through progress reports, technical publications and seminars
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison with vendors/suppliers for equipment and materials required in the project.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to achieve project milestones.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree related to Mechanical Engineering while a related Master’s or PhD degree is advantageous
- Possess at least 1 year of experience in R&D for a relevant field of engineering but this is not mandatory
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with people within and external to the university to facilitate smooth project progression
- Self-directed learner who believes in continuous learning for professional development through project activities like literature research and experiments
- Proficient in technical writing and oral presentation to effectively communicate the project outputs through progress reports, publications and seminars
- Possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve engineering problems related to the project
- Show strong initiative, motivated and take ownership of work to achieve project objectives