Associate Dean of Research and Global Engagement, XJTLU Wisdom Lake Academy of Pharmacy
School: Academy of Pharmacy
Academic Leadership Appointment: Associate Dean of Research
Period of Appointment: 3 years, renewable for once
Location: Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ACADEMY OF PHARMACY
XJTLU is seeking to appoint a new Executive Dean to lead the continuous development of the Wisdom Lake Academy of Pharmacy. The Academy is the result of cooperation with Suzhou government with the objectives to develop a world-class research and educational facility that specialises in Biopharmaceuticals, Precision Medicine, Translational Medicine, Molecular Pharmacology, and Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Management and Administration. The council of the Academy, composed of the government, the University, the industry alliance and independent outside experts, exercises the highest decision-making power in its strategic directions and operations. The Academy is directed by the Executive Dean under the leadership of the Academy Council.
After more than two years of development, the Academy has established 3 undergraduate degree programmes (BSc Pharmaceutical Sciences, BSc Applied Statistics, BEng Biopharmaceuticals), 3 postgraduate degree programmes (MSc Applied Statistics, MRes Medicinal Chemistry, MRes Pharmaceutical Sciences), and 1 PhD programme (under the umbrella of Chemistry and Biological Sciences), with more than 20 faculty members and 450 students. The Academy has established more than 40 external collaborations, 4 joint scientific labs, and 1 international joint research centre. With addition of 30+ industry professors, the Academy has unique resources for talent cultivation and collaboration opportunities. A 78,000 m2 new Pharmacy building is currently under construction on the SIP campus and will be ready in early 2026. In addition, the university has invested more than 80 million RMB in state-of-the-art instrumentation including a mass spectrometry-based Centre for Pharmaceutical Analysis.
The Associate Dean for Research & Global Engagement in the Academy of Pharmacy is a key role in the management and development of research and impact activities, and reports directly to the Dean of Academy. The Associate Dean for Research & Global Engagement is a member of the Academy of Pharmacy Senior Management Team, working closely with the Dean to implement the research strategy for the Academy. The variety and quantity of the current research carried out within the Academy is significant and hence requires advanced strategic leadership abilities. The position’s main objective is to build and foster a strong research environment and culture, focusing on research quality as one of the key drivers of the reputation of the Academy.
- Serve as a conduit between the Academy Research Committee, and the University Research Committee, for the timely communication and implementation of research-related policies and procedures;
- Develop, maintain and update a Research Quality Framework (RQF) document as a basis for a robust research environment and culture;
- Lead the organisation and associated processes involved in university research events, ensuring the quality of such events;
- Coordinate University research events and activities (including seminars, workshops and UG research with the SURF programme) within the Academy;
- Facilitate the collaborative research between the Academy and domestic or international institutions;
- The Associate Dean is responsible for the coordination and review of the Academy research metrics;
- The Associate Dean is expected to lead on research impact and knowledge transfer development and links to industry that foster growth in both of these areas;
- The Associate Dean may be asked to take on specific administrative tasks by the Dean of Academy. These include service on committees and working parties, as well as task related to research and impact.
- The Associate Dean plays a leading role in the Academy Research and impact Committee and would typically be the Chair of this Committee
- The Associate Dean may assist the Academy Senior Management Team in the effective delivery of line management and of Annual Professional Reviews
- The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean
- The Associate Dean is to ensure the development of an appropriate research environment and culture together with strategic positioning to align with and support the University's research priorities
- The Associate Dean works closely with the Academy Director of Postgraduate Research in developing the doctoral and postdoctoral programmes in pharmaceutical sciences
A Ph.D. degree in a relevant subject from a world-renowned university.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Significant leadership and management accomplishments in Research as well as a track record of publication and awarded grants
- Self-reliance and the ability to work autonomously
- The ability to develop and implement a strategic vision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
The successful candidate should have:
- At least five years of teaching and research experience at university level
- Significant recent experience of management in a higher education context, such as experience of being a university level committee member
- Significant team leadership experience in an HE Research & Global Engagement context
- An understanding of research and development trends relevant to the Academy and its research staff.
- Experience of successful development and implementation of research and research-led teaching in pharmaceutical science-based, and/or research quality enhancement programmes
- Experience of working within quality assurance frameworks for research-led teaching that are institutional, national and international
- Experience working in a transnational educational context with Chinese and UK partner institutions
- Experience of being a member of university research related committees
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website, https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=3522&company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications for this post should be received by October 31, 2023. Informal enquiries may be directed to the Executive Dean of Academy of Pharmacy at XJTLU, Prof. Lei Fu (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).