Associate Dean of Learning and Teaching, XJTLU Wisdom Lake Academy of Pharmacy
School: Academy of Pharmacy
Academic Leadership Appointment: Associate Dean ofLearning&Teaching
Period of Appointment: 3 years, renewable for once
Location: Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ACADEMY OF PHARMACY
XJTLU is seeking to appoint a new Executive Dean to lead the continuous development of the Wisdom Lake Academy of Pharmacy. The Academy is the result of cooperation with Suzhou government with the objectives to develop a world-class research and educational facility that specialises in Biopharmaceuticals, Precision Medicine, Translational Medicine, Molecular Pharmacology, and Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Management and Administration. The council of the Academy, composed of the government, the University, the industry alliance and independent outside experts, exercises the highest decision-making power in its strategic directions and operations. The Academy is directed by the Executive Dean under the leadership of the Academy Council.
After more than two years of development, the Academy has established 3 undergraduate degree programmes (BSc Pharmaceutical Sciences, BSc Applied Statistics, BEng Biopharmaceuticals), 3 postgraduate degree programmes (MSc Applied Statistics, MRes Medicinal Chemistry, MRes Pharmaceutical Sciences), and 1 PhD programme (under the umbrella of Chemistry and Biological Sciences), with more than 20 faculty members and 450 students. The Academy has established more than 40 external collaborations, 4 joint scientific labs, and 1 international joint research centre. With addition of 30+ industry professors, the Academy has unique resources for talent cultivation and collaboration opportunities. A 78,000 m2 new Pharmacy building is currently under construction on the SIP campus and will be ready in early 2026. In addition, the university has invested more than 80 million RMB in state-of-the-art instrumentation including a mass spectrometry-based Centre for Pharmaceutical Analysis.
The Associate Dean for Learning&Teaching in the Academy of Pharmacy is a key role in the management and development of degree programmes and the delivery of learning and teaching activities, and reports directly to the Dean of Academy. The Associate Dean for Learning&Teaching is a member of the Academy of Pharmacy Senior Management Team, working closely with the Dean to implement the learning & teaching strategy for the Academy. The variety and quantity of the current education programmes carried out within the Academy is significant and hence requires advanced strategic leadership abilities. The position’s main objective is to build and foster a strong learning and teaching environment and culture, focusing on L&T quality as one of the key drivers of the reputation of the Academy.
- The Associate Dean for Learning & Teaching provides leadership and oversight for the development of degree programmes and the delivery of teaching in the Academy;
- The Associate Dean is to ensure that teaching programmesmaximise the market opportunities for the Academy; that the content of modules is kept up to date; and that new advances in teaching technology and academic discussions are accommodated;
- The Associate Dean leadsthe application of Accreditation from domestic and/or international HE organisations;
- The Associate Dean is responsible for enhancing student learning experience in the Academy, and overseeing strategic development of existing and new degree programmes and pathways at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- The Associate Dean may be asked to take on specific administrative tasks by the Dean of Academy. These include service on committees and working parties, as well as task related to Learning&Teaching.
- The Associate Dean plays a leading role in the Academy Learning&Teaching Committee and would typically be the Chair of this Committee.
- The Associate Dean may assist the Academy Senior Management Team in the effective delivery of line management and of Annual Professional Reviews.
- The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean;
- The Associate Dean for Learning & Teaching works closely with the Associate Vice President for Education on the formulation and implementation of the University Education Strategy;
- The Associate Dean works closely with Academy Senior Management Team to ensure the development of an appropriate learning and teaching environment;
- The Associate Dean works closely with all Programme Directors to ensure the effective presentation and delivery of programmes of learning and teaching;
- The Associate Dean works closely with the Academy Learning and Teaching Committee to ensure the highest standards of quality assurance in teaching planning and delivery are met.
- The Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching is the Academy representative in the University Learning and Teaching Committee.
A Ph.D. degree in a relevant subject from a world-renowned university.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Self-reliance and the ability to work autonomously
- The ability to develop and implement a strategic vision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
The successful candidate should have:
- At least five years of teaching experience at university level.
- Significant recent experience of management in a higher education context, such as experience of being a university level committee member, a module leader and programme director;
- Significant team leadership experience in an HE L&T context.
- An understanding of a principled approach to pedagogy.
- Experience of successful development and implementation of curricula in pharmaceuticalsciences, and/or teaching quality enhancement programmes;
- Experience of working within quality assurance frameworks that are institutional, national and international
- Experience working in a transnational educational context with Chinese and/or UK partner institutions;
- Experience of being a member of university L&T related committees.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website,
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level, research accomplishment and plan
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications for this post should be received by October 31, 2023. Informal enquiries may be directed to the Executive Dean of Academy of Pharmacy at XJTLU, Prof. Lei Fu (Email: email@example.com).