Post Doctoral Fellow, Genome Science
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
The successful candidate will assist in providing high quality research support to assist in the management of an internationally competitive research portfolio in field of biotechnology and biomedical science. The successful candidate will publish research outcomes in high quality peer-reviewed technical journals, thereby contributing to research mission of the university.
Since the experience of a Postdoctoral Researcher is a transitional role towards becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the successful candidate will try their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from an advisor. These skills include, but will be not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
The opportunity also calls for the successful candidate to assist in the management of research projects at the BTC and calls for an individual with sound judgement.
The Center for Biotechnology at Khalifa University is soliciting applications from suitable candidates to fill the role of Postdoctoral Researcher. The role of the position will see the successful candidate fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Participate in scientific research as a professionally responsible member of the research team. Specifically, you will contribute to (a) problem exploration by defining and planning the methodological approaches and sequence of steps; (b) execution of experiments or studies, (c) interpretation of findings; (d) documentation and reporting of results and progress; (e) maintenance of research records and (f) compliance to all established policies and procedures.
- Publish research results in journals that are appropriate to the field in a timely manner and present findings at meetings that are relevant to the research endeavor.
- Participate in writing grant applications and preparing proposals that pertain to the research effort.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team, as required.
- Undertake requisite teaching in relation to subject area and mentor graduate students and/or undergraduates under the supervision of the Advisor.
- Regularly meet with the Advisor to (a) apprise the Advisor of research results; (b) for the development and troubleshooting of methodologies; (c) to provide direction and focus to the research; (d) to air concerns and conflicts; and (d) to express mutual expectations.
Perform other similar or related duties as and when assigned by the Advisor.
As a Postdoctoral Researcher, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Initiate and lead grant funded research projects in biotechnology and biomedical science, with specific emphasis on subjects related to genome science, bioinformatics, and functional biology.
- Carry out research and produces publications, or other research output, in line with personal objectives agreed in the review process.
Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
In both roles, you will be expected to:
- Contribute to research center and University-wide working groups or committees, as requested.
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in a participatory, developmental or advisory capacity.
- Support and participate in research activities with internal and external partners.
Post Doctoral Fellow
- PhD from a reputable university in genome science, molecular medicine, genetic epidemiology, biostatistics, or bioinformatics or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers;
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
To be considered for this role you will demonstrate:
- Substantial relevant experience with genome science, tissue culture, with an understanding of biostatistics and bioinformatics.
- Demonstrable computational skills with emphasis on application of bioinformatic tools to study complex disease.
- Strong skills in quantitative analysis and experience developing analytical pipelines and/or conducting biostatistical analyses on large datasets, particularly genome-wide assays such as whole genome datasets and large polymorphism arrays.
- General knowledge of proteomics and an ability to identify patterns that link genome and phenome/expression data in clinical studies.
- Ability and interest in supervising post-graduate students.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Well-developed organizational skills with the ability to adhere and meet deadlines.
- Qualifications in project management, quality management or business administration is desirable, but not essential.
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 or 2 years of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job