Post Doctoral Fellow, Chemical Engineering
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to conduct a specified research program under the supervision and direction of Prof. Lourdes F. Vega.
The primary purpose of the role is to develop and apply algorithms and multiscale models, including quantum (DFT) calculations and molecular simulations, for novel 2D materials to be used as proton conducting membranes for hydrogen production in the framework of a joined collaborative project with the University of Manchester, funded by the RIC-2D Center.
Since the candidate will conduct research, he/she should try his/her best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance his/her career with guidance from the faculty supervisor and senior members of the research team. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, and the ability to propose new ideas related to the area of focus.
- Conduct the specified research program as defined by the approved project proposal, under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator.
- Work in a collegial and cooperative manner with the Principal Investigator and other co-workers in the project, the RIC-2D Center team and other faculty, if appropriate.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- Support the Principal Investigator, co-Investigators and research project members in the design and development of the research program for the assigned project and related areas.
- Carry out administrative and management work associated with the research program and the project as required by the Principal Investigator.
- Support dissemination activities of the project and the RIC-2D Center.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Faculty supervisor, the RIC-2D Center, the Department or the University.
- Propose new ideas and support the development of proposals for external research funding.
- Engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of the research center, department and university.
- Generate new ideas and links and builds upon existing ideas to propose unique concepts and solutions.
- In addition to the research program to be developed, the candidate will supervise the work of some graduate students (MSc and PhD), working in the center. He/she will also provide training to new comers in the area of molecular modeling. Moreover, he/she should assist in administrative tasks related to the project, such as reports, presentations, etc. He/she will be involved in the preparation and follow up of the collaboration meetings with the team from the University of Manchester.
- PhD from a reputable university in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, or related discipline.
- Proven expertise in the area of molecular modeling: DFT and/or classical molecular simulations.
- Expertise in Density Functional Theory simulations of materials with different software.
- Some experience in molecular simulations.
- Candidate should have strong mathematical programming skills.
- Experience in 2D materials will be a plus.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Good understanding of operational requirements for a successful research project and managing resources.
- A good track record of research publications in high impact journals.
- Proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers.
- PhD obtained from a top 300 QS or THE ranked University.
- No required experience as a Post-doctoral researcher.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job