Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor, Literacy
- Seeking expertise in reading comprehension Instruction and assessment
- Full Time Continuing Academic Level B, C or D Role for ACU's Australian Centre for the Advancement of Literacy in North Sydney Campus
- 17% employer superannuation, salary packaging, ACU Advantage Staff Rewards Program and generous leave provisions
- Join a university ranked internationally in the top 2% for research excellence
Australian Catholic University (ACU) is an inclusive community which welcomes students and staff of all beliefs. ACU has over 2,500 staff supporting more than 34,000 students across eight campuses - Ballarat, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, North Sydney, Strathfield, Blacktown and Rome.
ACU aspires to be a home for our staff, offer the care of a family and develop an academic and professional community. Whatever your faith or culture, and whether you are academic or professional staff, there are many opportunities both for learning and contributing at ACU.
As valued members of our community, all staff members are expected to have an understanding of ACU's mission and values and to demonstrate an active contribution to them.
About the role:
The Australian Centre for the Advancement of Literacy is a newly established teaching and research centre hosted by the Faculty of Education and Arts at the Australian Catholic University (ACU) in Sydney, Australia. The Literacy Centre is building a team of active researchers and practitioners in literacy who are both generating and translating knowledge about evidence-informed literacy instruction and interventions across the school years. The Literacy Centre is developing a range of courses and graduate certificates, while also actively collaborating with schools across the education sector to ensure teachers have access to high-quality professional learning and co-designed classroom interventions based on the latest research.
Professor Rauno Parrila is directing The Literacy Centre which currently includes ARC Laureate Professor Anne Castles, Professor Don Compton, Professor Genevieve McArthur, Dr. Danielle Colenbrander, Dr. Tina Daniel, Dr. Valeria Rigobon, and Dr. Signy Wegener. We will also open a reading clinic in 2023 that will provide assessment and intervention services across Australia.
The Literacy Centre is currently looking for an academic specialising in reading comprehension in primary-school students. Depending on the experience, the successful applicant can be hired as a Lecturer, a Senior Lecturer, or as an Associate Professor. The successful applicant will work closely with the Centre Director and other academic and professional staff within The Literacy Centre and across the university. They will contribute to the Centre through excellence in research and teaching, and will undertake relevant leadership, service and administrative duties aimed at advancing knowledge, processes, and practices that support effective literacy instruction for all school-age children. The successful candidate will contribute to the development and delivery of the Centre’s courses, certificates and professional learning, and provide effective supervision and mentoring of students. The role incorporates working with industry, government, and other relevant external stakeholders to grow opportunities for partnership work and engagement on key issues relevant to the discipline of Literacy. This position is expected to commence in early 2024.
General enquiries can be sent to Rauno Parrila, Director, The Australian Centre for the Advancement of Literacy at: Rauno.firstname.lastname@example.org
What we offer:
- The University pursues an excellence agenda and offers an environment where staff are welcomed and safe, and valued through development, participation and involvement.
- Total remuneration valued to $129,839 - $153,147 total rem (pro rata) pa, including salary component $109,716 - $129,539 (pro rata) pa (Academic Level B), total remuneration valued to $162,426 - $176,346 total rem (pro rata) pa, including salary component $137,470 - $149,367 (pro rata) pa (Academic Level C) or total maximum remuneration valued to $184,083 - $202,637 total rem (pro rata) pa, including salary component $155,980 - $171,838 (pro rata) pa (for Academic Level D), employer contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading. The level of appointment will be determined based on the level of experience, skills and capability of the successful candidate.
- 17% employer superannuation contributions to eligible continuing and fixed-term staff.
- Annual leave loading of an equivalent to 17.5% of four weeks' salary pro rata payable, dependent on your commencement date.
- As an ACU staff member, you will have access to generous benefits which include but not limited to: Staff Rewards; a variety of leave provisions and salary packaging. Find out more information about the benefits or working at ACU here. For more information on The Australian Centre for the Advancement of Literacy, see our website here.
How to Apply:
Step 2: Click the 'View Position Description and Apply' button, and populate your candidate application details, including your:
- resume (maximum 5 pages).
- responses to the Selection Criteria and Core Competencies in a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) or in the online Declaration and Criteria application page.
- brief online responses to any pre-screening employment questions.
This position requires a Working with Children Check (WWCC) and/or Working with Vulnerable People Check (WWVP) (ACT only).
Acting in truth, ACU is dedicated to the dignity of the human person through equitable and respectful opportunities for everyone. ACU can offer support for candidates that may require adjustments through the recruitment process.
Applications close: 22-OCT-2023 at 11:59 pm AUS Eastern Standard Time
ACU does not accept candidate applications submitted by external recruitment agencies through the ACU careers website.