Faculty Position, School of Robotics (All Ranks)
School: School of Robotics, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Position: Faculty Position, School of Robotics (All Ranks)
Academic Discipline: Electrical and electronics, mechatronics, intelligent controls, robotics engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence, computer vision, mobile robotics, machine learning, data science and analytics.
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has around 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched, as a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s newly opened award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF ROBOTICS
The School of Robotics is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The governance of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the college.
The School of Robotics is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner – Siasun, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Robotics Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Industry Partner Overview
Siasun is the international headquarter of Siasun Robot & Automation Co., Ltd. in Shanghai. It is committed to creating a leading-edge international, innovative and platform-based for the industry of robots. The main businesses of Saisun include intelligent robots, intelligent manufacturing, and industry incubating. For more information please see www.siasun-in.com/.
The School of Robotics is adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract individuals embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks academic members who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. These creative educators adopt a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
We are looking for future colleagues who can:
- Understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset, in line with the ethos of the College.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Provide administrative service to the School, the University and its stakeholders.
- Maintain a sustained record of successful PhD supervision.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Conduct high-quality industry-enhanced research and consultancy contracts, evidenced by contribution that output makes to industry, the economy, society, environment or culture, beyond the contribution to academic research.
- Maintain good, sustained, and successful research grants with impact measured by publications in leading journals and other research outputs.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with industry, academic institutions, and other external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research in line with the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) research themes, and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Contribute to the school’s teaching development through mentoring and supporting early career academics (Associate Professor and above).
- Undertake any other appropriate tasks assigned by the Entrepreneur College or University through the Dean of School or College Senior Management Team.
- A doctoral research (normally PhD) degree in electrical and electronics, mechatronics, intelligent controls, robotics engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence, computer vision, mobile robotics, machine learning, data science and analytics, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Previous experience in coding (C/C++, Python, ROS etc) in robotics-related domains.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Demonstrable past teaching/industry experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- A commitment to Continual Professional Development in all areas of the role as an academic at the university.
- Ability to work, teach and research in English
- Strong team-work spirit.
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Appropriate research experience, including working with industry, for the corresponding academic position level.
- Experience in intensive teaching and problem-based learning, and a willingness to be innovative in teaching practices.
- An institutional builder, able to work with wider disciplines across the college.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1895&company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References