Predoctoral Position for Project on Digital Education
60 Centre for Teacher Education
Startdate: 02.10.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 30.09.2026
Reference no.: 1241
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
With 27 teaching subjects and more than 12,000 student teachers, the University of Vienna is the largest teacher training institution in Austria. At the Center for Teacher Education (ZLB), we work to consolidate and further develop the many initiatives to improve the quality of teacher education. Together with the faculties and centers involved in teacher education as well as the universities of teacher education within the framework of the North-East Network, future teachers are prepared for the changing needs of modern schools and enabled to help shape the learning and living environment of schools on the basis of scientific expertise. We are looking for a dedicated PhD student (prae doc) for the research area Digitization in Education.
The Digitalization in Education Group is part of the Center for Teacher Education. The team teaches and researches on the topic of education and digitality. The goal is to promote inclusive digital learning experiences that take into account different realities of life and issues such as sustainability and social justice. They also open up individual spaces for playful exploration, learning and growing.
For our Group we are looking for a dedicated PhD student (Prae doc, 3 years) who will complete a PhD in the framework of the dig!doc consortium (thesis topics are listed below).
The doctoral program dig!doc focuses on researching the conditions for success of digital (basic) education. This requires a holistic, interdisciplinary view that addresses the levels of digitization, school development and competence orientation. One focus of the advertised position is to further develop the scientific status regarding the importance of an active and creative engagement with digitalization processes and discourses. Primarily, the teacher perspective will be examined, for example, how constructive-critical and participatory approaches (see Computational Empowerment) affect roles in and implementation of teaching.
Details to dig!doc can be found here.
Details on the call „Bildungsinnovation braucht Bildungsforschung“ (innovation in education needs research) through which dig!doc is being funded can be found on the OeAD webseite (https://oead.at/de/expertise/bildungsinnovation-braucht-bildungsforschung).
Preferred topic (working title):
- Computational Empowerment aus Lehrer*innenperspektive im Unterrichtskontext
Also possible (working title):
- Möglichkeiten und Grenzen von selbstbestimmtem Lernen digitaler Kompetenzen in der Lehrer*innenbildung und Implikationen für die Digitale Grundbildung
- Bildungsungleichheiten transformieren und das Zugehörigkeitsgefühl in der Digitalen Grundbildung stärken
Your future tasks:
You actively participate in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You will participate in research projects and scientific studies.
- We expect you to complete your dissertation agreement within 12 months.
- You will work on your dissertation and its completion in the collegium of the cooperative doctoral program dig!doc.
- You will write and participate in publications and give public lectures.
- You independently hold lectures to the extent stipulated in the collective agreement and supervise students.
- Involvement in the application and implementation of projects.
- Involvement in evaluation measures and quality assurance.
- You will be responsible for administrative tasks in research and teaching.
- Involvement in the organization of meetings, conferences and symposia.
This is part of your personality:
- Preferably completed master's or diploma studies: teaching degree with subject computer science, (educational) psychology or educational sciences, computer science.
- Interdisciplinary orientation and willingness to work across disciplines.
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas: Educational Technologies, Digital Literacy Frameworks, Digital Literacy, Participatory Design, Design-based Learning, Technology-enhanced Learning, Learner-centered Teaching, Human-Centered Design, Educational Standards, AI Tools, Visualization, Media Didactics,
- Didactic competencies, as well as knowledge or experience regarding the school subject "digital basic education" advantageous
- Teaching experience and/or hourly teaching activity at secondary level advantageous
- Methodological skills in the field of qualitative and quantitative research
- Interest in helping to shape the digital and social transformation in education
- Very good English and German language skills, both written and spoken
- IT skills
- Team competence as well as high social and communication skills
What we offer:
The employment duration is 3 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The salary of EUR 2.458,00 for 30 hours (0,75 FTE) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your scientific curriculum vitae / letter of intent
- Letter of motivation for participation in the cooperative doctoral program dig!doc (info on dig!doc see above, approx. 1 page)
- Master Degree / Diploma
- If available: list of publications, teaching experience
- Via our job portal / Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 10.10.2023