Research Fellow / Senior Research Fellow in Bioinformatics
Location: Southampton General Hospital
Salary: £34,980 to £56,021 Per annum
Full Time Fixed Term (12 months)
Closing Date: Tuesday 03 October 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
The newly established Faculty of Medicine Bioinformatics Research Facility (Bio-R) serves as a centralised resource for providing expert and timely bioinformatics consulting and data analysis solutions. The BIO-R’s mission is to build and maintain an infrastructure that provides the application of robust bioinformatics to enable faculty researchers to publish their work in world-leading journals and generate novel insight that drives societal and health improvements. The Bio-R serves as an exciting and collaborative hub for interaction between bioinformaticians and biomedicine discovery scientists, clinical academics, clinical trialists and educators at the University of Southampton and affiliated NHS trusts. Bio-R is a cutting-edge research facility dedicated to 'omics'-based research in the fields of discovery, translational, and clinical biomedicine.
We are seeking a talented, enthusiastic and dynamic individual to join our Bio-R team. As a Bioinformatician at Bio-R, you will play a crucial role in supporting our research initiatives by conducting comprehensive analysis of various 'omics' data, including RNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, whole exome/genome and targeted (re)sequencing data, genome-wide miRNA and DNA methylation data. You will collaborate closely with researchers and clinicians to process and analyse these datasets to assess hypotheses, answer research questions, and contribute to driving forward our understanding of human disease.
- Provide bioinformatics support for a range of projects analysing omics data generated from various technologies. Including: processing and QC of data, setting up and running of pipelines, interpretation of results and generation of reports.
- Providing expert advice to support funding applications.
- Carrying out management and administrative tasks to ensure the successful running of the BioR.
- Contribute to training and support of visitors, undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Bio-R.
- Present research findings at internal meetings and external conferences.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field.
- Experience in analysing high-throughput sequencing data, including RNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, whole exome/genome sequencing, and targeted (re)sequencing.
- Proficiency in bioinformatics tools and programming languages such as R, Python, and/or Perl in an HPC environment.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and data visualization techniques.
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Additional Skills (Preferred): Knowledge of machine learning and data mining techniques.
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art research facility with cutting-edge technology.
- Collaborative and stimulating work environment.
- Professional development and training opportunities.
- Potential for career advancement within the organization.
The job responsibilities and qualifications mentioned above are indicative and may vary slightly based on the specific needs of the research facility.
We believe equality, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to making the University of Southampton a welcoming, vibrant and successful organisation. Having a diverse workforce, inclusive of people of all ages and beliefs, from different racial backgrounds, educational and social backgrounds opens up a wealth of possibilities, makes us more creative and accelerates our impact on society. We welcome applicants that value diversity of our community and are willing to play their part in supporting the mission of inclusivity.
Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of relevant PhD qualification. The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being awarded the title of Senior Research Assistant is given.