Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Statistical Data Science
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Statistical Data Science to join School of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Academic Division.
The School of Mathematical Sciences at QUT is seeking to recruit an ongoing staff member to provide strategic capacity in Statistical or Mathematical focused research and learning and teaching within the discipline of Data Science. The position will be offered at Lecturer (Level B) or Senior Lecturer (Level C), depending on experience. These levels correspond to Assistant/Associate Professor positions in North American Universities. Candidates with expertise in the development of new statistical methods for analysing data will be preferred. Expert knowledge and practical experience with statistical machine learning are desirable. Applications from other areas of statistical or mathematical data science are welcome. The successful candidate will focus their teaching on providing high-quality learning experiences in QUT’s Bachelor of Mathematics (including majors in Applied and Computational Mathematics, Statistics and Operations Research) and Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours), Bachelor of Data Science, Master of Data Analytics, and to students in related disciplines such as engineering, and the natural and health sciences.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the area
The School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS) is a vibrant, multidisciplinary school with teaching and research programs focussed in the fields of Statistics, Operations Research and Applied and Computational Mathematics.
There are currently 29 full-time academic staff members employed in the School, including 11 full Professors.
Over the past five years four staff members were awarded an ARC Discovery Early Career Award and five staff were awarded ARC Future Fellowship. Three of the School’s Professors are among Australia’s top ten most highly cited researchers in mathematics. School staff include a member of the Australian Academy of Sciences, a winner of the Academy’s 2021 Moran medal, two recipients of national teaching excellence awards in mathematics, and three medallists for research contributions in applied and industrial mathematics.
The school offers programs of study at Bachelors, Honours, Masters and PhD levels. Our main degrees are the Bachelor of Mathematics with majors in Statistics, Operations Research and Applied and Computational Mathematics and the Bachelor of Data Science.
In November 2019, QUT officially opened the Centre for Data Science which has a vision to be a national and global leader in the development of frontier methods for the use of data to benefit our world. In collaboration with government and industry, this Centre will draw together capability in data science across Australia to solve global challenges across all sectors. The Centre also has a strong remit in education to provide rigorous training of current and future data scientists..
What you need to succeed
- Completion of a doctoral qualification in statistics, mathematics or a closely related discipline.
- Level B - Demonstrated ability to coordinate and teach undergraduate and postgraduate units in Statistics, Mathematics, and their applications to Data Science. Potential to develop units and curriculum in these fields. Level C - Demonstrated ability and experience across a wider range of units, including large introductory classes, and teaching statistics mathematics effectively to students in related disciplines such as engineering or the natural and health sciences.
- Ability to develop and implement innovative teaching practices including flexible and online learning and authentic assessment.
- Level B - Ability to develop and maintain an excellent research program that supports or complements existing research strengths in the School of Mathematical Sciences. Level C - Candidates would additionally be expected to demonstrate successful significant research outputs and grant outcomes.
- Level B - Ability to supervise higher degree research students. Level C - Candidates should have demonstrated primary supervisory experience.
- Ability to work effectively in teams to support the School, Faculty, and University, and the ability to contribute to and foster a collegial and inclusive workplace within the school and across the University.
Careers at QUT
We're committed to building a culture that fosters connection between people and purpose. Beyond personal and professional fulfillment, a career at QUT offers:
- A healthy work-life balance with a blend of on-campus and off-campus work arrangements for applicable positions.
- Competitive remuneration with up to 17% superannuation.
- Generous maternity leave including primary carer parental leave of up to 26 weeks (including 17% super).
- Stay healthy with Fitness Passport and enjoy discounted rates on private health insurance.
- Leave loading of 17.5%.
- Purchased Leave Scheme - up to 8 extra weeks.
- Salary Packaging Scheme for additional superannuation contributions, vehicle leasing, and on-campus services such as childcare, parking, and gyms.
- Numerous opportunities for professional development including leadership programs and workshops, and our study assistance scheme.
- Commitment to our Indigenous Australian staff through initiatives such as the Indigenous Australian Staff Network, Cultural and Ceremonial Leave, Staff Development Workshops, and representation on university committees.
- We see diversity and inclusion as our strengths.
- Explore more benefits of life at QUT.
We are guided by our values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, Innovation, and Academic Freedom and our QUT Connections in our mission to inspire and shape the next generation of change-makers.
In support of our Indigenous Australians Employment Strategy, we aspire to an Indigenous Australian workforce participation of 3.6% and we encourage Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people to join us in pursuing a fulfilling career.
We believe in creating safe spaces for inclusivity to flourish and we know that diversity is our strength – see our commitment. If you’re curious, innovative, and ready to experience what a career at QUT can offer, we’re ready to meet you.
Reference number: 23809
Term: Ongoing, full-time
Remuneration: Total remuneration range $AUD125,576 to $AUD149,137 (LEVB) OR $AUD153,837 to $AUD177,406 pa (LEVC); (inclusive $AUD106,113 to $AUD126,022 (LEVB) salary p.a. OR $AUD129,994 to $AUD149,910 (LEVC) salary p.a.; 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading)
Location: Gardens Point
Applications Close: 23-Oct-2023 at 11:30 pm
Find out more and apply by clicking the Apply button below.