Senior Scientist, Physics
51 Faculty of Physics
Startdate: 01.01.2024 | Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 31.12.2029
Reference no.: 1266
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of play:
We are looking for a Senior Scientist in the Faculty Center for Nanostructure Research, a facility of the Faculties of Physics and Chemistry, which gives students and employees access to various large devices. Your area of responsibility includes the field of scattering methods with the focus on small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) and the material-physical focus on "soft matter". This also includes the support of internal (Faculties of Physics and Chemistry) and external users in this research area, as well as the use and further development of existing large-scale devices in the field of X-ray scattering.
The position is limited to 6 years with the possibility of an unlimited extension.
Your future tasks:
- Support of the X-ray systems of the Faculty Center for Nanostructure Research
- Support of internal and external users of the X-ray systems with research especially in the interdisciplinary areas of physics and chemistry, materials science, life science
- Participation in research, teaching & administration of the Faculty Center including project management and the acquisition of new instruments
- Preparation and support of applications for research projects and independent acquisition of third-party funds
- Publishing articles in international journals with high impact and presenting at international conferences
- Joint responsibility in the field of X-ray and radiation protection
- Independent teaching activities in the bachelor’s, master’s and physics teacher studies, in particular the lecture and the preparatory seminar “Experimental Physics 1: Classical Mechanics and Thermodynamics” for first-year students in the STEOP 1 module and the participation in the associated exercises
This is part of your personality:
We are looking for a scientist with a doctorate/PhD in the field of physics. Ideally you have
- At least five years of experience and excellent knowledge of scattering methods (X-rays)
- Communication skills to support users of the X-ray facilities of the Faculty Center for Nanostructure Research
- Several years of experience with research in the field of technical materials/material physics as well as materials from the fields of chemistry, biochemistry and biology/life science
- Great interest in the expansion of existing and the establishment of new research collaborations at national and international level
- At least 20 publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Good knowledge of English and German language (required for research - international cooperation - as well as for safety at work and for teaching of students in the bachelor studies)
- Determination and commitment to scientific excellence
- Several years of experience in the field of X-ray and radiation protection
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fixed-term contract and fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4,351.90 (14 times a year for senior scientists postdoctoral) increases, if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your scientific curriculum vitae (education, positions, teaching activities, administrative experience) and a summary of your previous research priorities
- List of publications and presentations
- Notice of completed doctoral/PhD studies
- Via our job portal/Apply now – button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 09/25/2023
(Senior) Lecturer & Researcher