Position Code: 8800631
Position Type: Project Based (Fixed Term)
Position Duration: 01-July-2023 to 30-June-2024
Position Title: Research Associate
Fund: 8474000385 / FSU-2022-013
Project Title: An Intelligent Cyber-Physical System for Multi-Domain Traffic Management
Project Supervisor: Dr. Roberto Sabatini; Professor of Aerospace Engineering; email: email@example.com
Academic Department: Department of Aerospace Engineering
Relevant Research Center: KUSTIC, C2PS, RISI
Technical Keywords: Aeronautics; Astronautics; Avionics; Air Traffic Management; Space Systems; Unmanned Aircraft System; Advanced Air Mobility; Cyber-Physical System; Multi-Domain Traffic Management.
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to work on Aerospace Cyber-Physical Systems (ACPS). This is an exciting opportunity to join the Department of Aerospace Engineering at Khalifa University (Abu Dhabi, UAE) and work on key contemporary challenges related to Flight Systems Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E). Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive and industry-focused research in the field of ACPS aimed at high-quality publication, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication. Develop a deep understanding of research priorities in the designated field, with the assistance of the research group/project leader.
- Work collegially and ethically with the research group members, and collaborate with other colleagues and students pursuing research in related fields.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Integrate effectively with the Aerospace Cyber-Physical Systems (ACPS) Group and work autonomously, ethically and responsibly, fostering a culture of robust team-working, respect, collegiality and inclusion.
- Conduct research, design and test activities in the field of ACPS, including Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) and Communication, Navigation and Surveillance/Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) systems for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) applications, consistently with the expectations of the research project.
- Participate in the various activities of the research group under the guidance of the advisor and conduct research activities, yielding measurable outcomes including high-quality journal and conference publications and attracting industry/government funding.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of research facilities and capabilities in the area of avionics, GNC and CNS/ATM systems.
- Support the research performance and reputation of the ACPS Group through appropriate interaction with industry and other research organizations.
- Successfully undertake and complete research tasks to the required qualitative standards within the agreed timeframes and resources as specified by the project plan.
- Take responsibility for reporting the technical progress to the project leader and research group, periodically and in a timely manner.
- Publish research outcomes and communicate with other team members, partners and the broader research community.
- Undertake a range of administrative functions associated with the research project s/he is undertaking.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- Masters from a reputable university in Aerospace Engineering, Avionics Systems, GNC Systems, or in a closely related subject.
- Experience of undertaking assigned research tasks and starting to manage own workload.
- Contributing to scientific papers and academic journal articles where possible acting as lead/ corresponding author.
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture.
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- High level of proficiency in MATLAB and Simulink.
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University.
- At least 2 year of increasingly accountable relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry.
- At least 1 lead author publication in a Q1 journal in the relevant field.
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field.
- Competence with Python, JS, C++ or other object-oriented programming language.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Associate
Job Type: Full-time