Research Associate, The Biotechnology Center
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
The Biotechnology Center is looking to recruit a research associate to make a positive contribution to our research team. This is an exciting role in which the post holder will have the ability to work in all areas of our Genomics team to ensure operations flow efficiently across the center. The Staff Scientist will aid in the discovery of new therapeutic targets (using bulk/single cell multi-omics) and to bridge the valley of death (by functionally validating these targets).
The Research Associate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Preparation of DNA samples and library preparation.
- Conducting protein and molecular biology assays, such as western blotting, polymerase chain reaction and RT-PCR.
- Product, consumable, and device ordering. Follow-up shipments. Stock management.
- To guarantee laboratory safety, maintain a clean and orderly laboratory and equipment.
- Communicating and reporting laboratory results professionally and in digital format (e.g. Excel) and attending seminars.
- Independently organize and troubleshoot practical work; provide direction and focus to research.
- Contributes to research center or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Collaborate with lab members and lab quality manager.
- Fosters service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental and advisory capacity.
- Managing the project, including supervising junior colleagues, creating daily agendas, managing budgets, authoring articles, devising experiments, etc.
- Supports and participates in research activities.
- Master degree in molecular biology, biomedical science or any related Science major.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience is required. Candidate must be able to work independently.
- Experience of undertaking assigned research tasks and starting to manage own workload
- Contributing to scientific papers and academic journal articles where possible acting as lead/ corresponding author
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1-2 year of increasingly accountable relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry.
- All applicants must demonstrate a proven track record of, or high potential for, high-quality scientific research, as evidenced by their publication records and/or letters of recommendation.
- At least 1 lead author publication in a Q1 journal in the relevant field
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Associate
Job Type: Full-time