University Assistant Predoctoral, Philological and Cultural Studies
45 Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies
Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: permanent
Reference no.: 1104
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
Research and teaching at the Department of English and American Studies cover literary and cultural studies as well as linguistics. The department at the moment employs about 80 members and presently around 4000 students are enrolled in its Bachelor, Master, PhD and Teacher Education programmes.
The Department of English and American Studies at the University of Vienna wishes to appoint a university assistant (at predoctoral level).
Your future tasks:
Participation in research, teaching and administration in the area of British cultural and literary studies:
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
This is part of your profile:
- Mag. phil. or MA degree in British cultural and/or literary studies
- Methodological and didactic competence in the area of British cultures, literatures and media, as well as cultural theories
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
Desirable qualifications are:
- Experience with or willingness to work in the fields of Adaptation, Trans- and Intermediality Studies or Victorian/Neo-Victorian Studies or Medical Humanities
- Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing
What we offer:
The employment duration is 3 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
This is how you apply:
- Letter of Motivation (one page, TNR, font size 11, 1.0 spacing)
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal (max. 5 pages, incl. 1 page time schedule and 1 page bibliography)
- Degree certificates
- Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 11/20/2023