University Assistant Postdoctoral, Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
53 Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
Startdate: 01.01.2024 | Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 31.12.2027
Reference no.: 1193
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of play:
To strengthen our team we are looking for an independent and innovative person with a strong research focus on recent foraminifera, preferably with skills in culturing foraminifera and conducting experiments. Your future position is at the Department of Palaeontology in the work group of Petra Heinz (Palaeoecosystems), characterized by excellent research in micropaleontology at the interface between palaeobiology and (palaeo-) ecology.
The work group is part of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy. Our staff and students appreciate the diversity of subjects, internationality, interdisciplinary cooperation, exchange between colleagues, as well as the exchange with the younger generation. As an international team, we are committed to an open, diverse, and inclusive environment that fosters growth and development for all.
Your future tasks:
Active participation in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You build up an independent research profile in the field of recent foraminifera.
- You are involved in research projects and scientific studies of the working group.
- You publish internationally and give lectures.
- You apply for projects and raise third-party funds.
- You hold courses independently within the scope of the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
- You supervise students.
- You participate in evaluation measures and in quality assurance.
- You take on administrative tasks in research, teaching and administration.
This is part of your personality:
- Completed doctoral/PhD studies in palaeontology, palaeobiology, ecology or a related field
- Outstanding dissertation with focus on foraminifera
- Experience in processing of marine sediments
- Taxonomic knowledge of foraminifera
- Research competence proven through international publications in peer reviewed journals
- Knowledge in cultivation of foraminifera is desirable
- Excellent knowledge of English (C1)
- Team player and high social/communicative skills
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours and remote/hybrid work.
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fixed-term contract and fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4,351.90 (14 times a year) for a period of 4 years increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your motivation letter and your scientific curriculum vitae
- With your list of publications
- With a summary of your previous research focuses and your future research interests (max. 3 p.)
- Contact details of persons who could provide reference letters
- Doctoral Degree
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any content questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 09/24/2023