University Assistant Predoctoral, Mathematics
56 Faculty of Mathematics
Startdate: 01.09.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 31.08.2027
Reference no.: 923
The Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Vienna is the largest Austrian institution of mathematical research and tertiary education in the mathematical sciences. It consists of active research groups in a wide range of fields, starting from logical foundations, bridging all classical core subjects, and up to concrete applications in industry. As part of the Faculty, the Institute of Mathematics represents the entire discipline of mathematics in research and teaching, without making an arbitrary separation into pure and applied fields.
We are looking for open, innovative and productive colleagues who are willing to work in an international and interdisciplinary environment. You would like that as well? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
As a University Assistant Praedoc you will complement the research team "Mathematical Data Science" [mds.univie.ac.at] around Prof. Dr. Philipp Grohs and support the team with your distinct research interests in the use and research of machine learning methods, for example for the numerical solution of partial differential equations.
Your future tasks:
Active participation in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- Participation in research activities in the area of mathematical data science:
- Development of own solutions as part of the research group of Prof. Grohs.
- Conclusion of a dissertation agreement within 12-18 months is expected.
- Interdisciplinary collaborations:
- Willingness to participate in international and interdisciplinary research with applied researchers*.
- Participation in international conferences
- Participation in teaching and administration:
- Independent participation in the administration of the institute, teaching and research.
- Independent participation in and teaching of courses in accordance with the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
Required Qualifications/Position Requirement:
- Completed diploma or master's degree in mathematics or a related field (e.g. computer science, statistics, physics or chemistry).
- Initial practice in scientific writing and research methods (list of publications and presentations as well as copy of the Master's thesis).
- Experience in the development and analysis of deep learning algorithms, especially in numerical mathematics.
- High scientific qualification in machine learning and numerical analysis.
- Didactic skills and qualification as well as experience in e-learning.
- Excellent programming skills and their applications in Python and C++.
- Excellent knowledge and its applications in signal processing.
- Excellent knowledge of English (min. C1), both written and spoken.
- You are a team player with high social and communication skills.
- You are goal-oriented and have a high motivation to strive for scientific excellence.
- You are not entitled to compensation for travel and accommodation expenses incurred in connection with the application procedure.
What we offer:
The employment duration is 4 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 4 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
- Work-life balance: The compatibility of work and private life or work and study is a particularly important concern for us. In consultation with the team and team management, you can therefore organize your working hours flexibly and in a familyfriendlymanner within the framework of the current flexible and family-friendly working hours and also work partially in a home office.
- Inspiring working atmosphere: You are part of an international team with excellent research infrastructure in a relaxed working environment.
- Good public transport connections: Your new workplace is easily accessible by public transport.
- Climate neutrality - sustainability: The University of Vienna contributes to the achievement of climate goals by means of an adopted sustainability strategy and aimes to achieve climate neutrality by 2030 through the reduction of resource consumption, resource-saving and sustainable procurements.
- Fixed-term contract and adequate salary: The basic salary corresponds to the collective agreement for employees of the universities according to § 48 VwGr. B1 lit b basic level (postdoc): EUR 3.277,30 on a full-time basis (14 times per year). The actual salary is finally determined depending on professional experience and qualification. The gross salary covers all benefits of the employee in quantitative and qualitative terms (= all-in payment).
- Internal training and coaching: We offer you ongoing opportunities to deepen your skills. Choose from an extensive range of courses free of charge.
- Benefits: The University of Vienna also offers you numerous benefits, such as a company pension fund, travel allowances, low-cost parking, discounted IT (hardware and software), special rates for language courses offered by the university language center, advancement of women, diversity management and specific career advancement, inclusion, Papamonat, Flexible childcare, vacation care for children, health care, vaccination campaigns and fitness offers (special rates for USI sports courses) as well as discounts for employees at various companies.
- Equal opportunities for all: We welcome every additional personality to the team!
Is your interest in this attractive and varied field of activity with autonomous areas of responsibility now aroused? Would you like to take on this new challenge? To actively contribute to the current and future major scientific issues of the research team around Prof. Grohs and, above all, to become even better at what you can already do?
Then we are looking forward to you and your meaningful application:
- with your letter of motivation,
- your academic curriculum vitae,
- 2 - 3 letters of reference, as well as
- with your notification of a completed Master's/Diploma degree
- via our job portal by clicking on "Create Profile - Login & Logout" in the header on the upper right, or
- directly in this job posting by clicking the "Apply now" - Button on the bottom right side.
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 10/01/2023