University Assistant Predoctoral, Business, Economics and Statistics
37 Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics
Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: permanent
Reference no.: 855
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
The University of Vienna is offering a Ph.D. Research Fellowship (University Assistant, prae doc) at the Department of Statistics and Decision Support Systems (Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics). The position is meant to support a young scientist through his or her Ph.D. research. Employment (30 hrs/week) is based on a 3-year contract, with the option to extend for a year.
The successful applicant will enter the department's Ph.D. program and is expected to work on the development and the analysis of statistical methods for machine learning, particularly in the context of high dimensional models and related models. Also, he/she will gain some teaching experience at undergraduate and master’s level.
(Teaching according to the regulations of the collective bargaining agreement.)
We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months. Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement.
Your future tasks:
You actively participate in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You are involved in research projects and scientific studies in the area of mathematical statistics.
- We expect you to finalize your dissertation agreement within 12-18 months.
- You work on your dissertation and its completion.
- You hold courses independently within the scope of the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
- You take on administrative tasks in research, teaching and administration.
This is part of your personality:
- Completed Master's degree or Diploma, in the field of statistics, mathematics or a closley related discipline (completed or pending completion)
- A solid backround in statistics, mathematical statistics and probability theory as well as promising potential for original research
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills: Proficiency in R or a comparable software package
What we offer:
The employment duration is 3 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a declaration of non-extension. With appropriate work progress, an extension to a total maximum of 4 years is possible.
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
Application documents must include:
- Academic curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference
- Letter of motivation
- List of publications (if available)
- Evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Short doctoral project proposal
- Degree certificates
- Via our job portal/ Apply now button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 09/30/2023