Data Scientist, Microbiology and Environmental Systems Science
91 Centre for Microbiology and Environmental Systems Science
Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: permanent
Reference no.: 767
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Description of the position:
The University of Vienna will establish a novel research infrastructure for storage and analysis of life science data in and around the Vienna Biocenter. The Centre for Microbiology and Environmental Systems Science, the Faculty of Life Sciences and the Max Perutz Labs are therefore looking for a highly motivated person (m/f/d) with professional experience in the field of computational life science, bioinformatics or a related discipline for the position of a Data Scientist. This position is temporary for a period of 3 years. The position may be extended if there are adequate funds available.
As a Data Scientist in Life Sciences, you will work at the intersection between research infrastructure and data analysis. Together with experts from the Vienna University Computer Center (ZID), you will implement innovative and powerful infrastructure for large-scale life science data. You will design and coordinate date-intensive aspects of current research projects. You will support researchers in handling of big research data. You will develop strategies and tools for efficient analysis of large life science data on multiple high-performance compute platforms. You can expect a cutting-edge, diverse and forward-looking work environment.
Your future tasks:
- Implementation of newest technologies for high-performance data transfer and storage
- Design and coordination of data intensive aspects of research projects with selected workgroups in and around the Vienna Biocenter
- Providing advice, tools and support to researchers in the area of life science data management and open science
- Designing and developing innovative services that facilitate storage and analysis of large-scale life science data
- Analysis and implementation of strategies and tools towards sustainable research data management in life science
- Contributions to national and international networks, particularly to ELIXIR Austria
This is part of your personality:
- PhD degree or equivalent in the field of life science
- Experience in the area of computational data analysis, research data management and open science
- Good knowledge of computational life science practice, as well as a broad understanding of how life science data are managed
- Very good command of written and spoken English
- Very good command of written and spoken German or a willingness to acquire it
- Willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Creativity and innovative spirit
- Service orientation, ability to work under pressure and flexibility
- Independent, accurate and systematic way of working
- Ability to work in a team
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in Vienna's 3rd district is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4351,90 (before taxes) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
Please submit the following documents with your application through our job portal ("Apply now" button):
- Scientific curriculum vitae, including list of publications
- Letter of intent
- Doctoral degree certificate / transcript of records
- Other certificates, if applicable
- Earliest possible starting date
If you have any content questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 10/31/2023