Faculty Position in XIPU Institution
Department: XIPU INSTITUTION (Think Tank)
Position: Assistant Professor/Associate Professor
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT XIPU INSTITUTION (XIPUI)
The XIPU Institution (XIPUI) is a think tank that conducts policy-related empirical research, which focuses on local development and industrial upgrading. XIPUI was established in October 2017 and was jointly funded by XJTLU, the Suzhou Municipal People's Government, and Suzhou Industrial Park Management Committee. XIPUI provides practical advice and suggestions to government which helps inform decision making and policy settings in the SIP and Suzhou. XIPUI utilizes the capabilities within XJTLU including the international work force, strengths in scientific research, and its international network, to unite high-end research talent and resources at home and abroad, to integrate professional knowledge across relevant government departments and strategic industries in Suzhou.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applying for and undertaking policy research projects in the relevant fields;
- Producing high-quality and influential policy briefings and proposals, current affairs reviews, project reports and academic papers;
- Engaging with industrial partners, government stakeholders and other domestic/international think tanks for research collaboration, networking or promotion activities;
- Supporting the Institution and the University’s conferences and events;
- Teaching in relevant fields if required;
- Other related academic and administration tasks assigned by the Director.
- PhD degree in relevant research fields such as public administration, economics, biology, pharmacy, artificial intelligence, or data science.
- Excellent oral and written communication capabilities in both English and Chinese;
- Experience or qualifications in teaching in a tertiary environment is an asset.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Experience in conducting high-quality policy and academic research, track record of refereed research publications would be highly regarded;
- Consulting experience or government work experience preferred;
- Proactivity and the ability to work independently and also as part of a team;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills;
- Attention to details, able to prioritizes tasks and meet multiple deadlines;
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and innovative.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty member with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program - Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- RMB 1-3 Million
- Innovation Leading Talent
- up to RMB 2 Million
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website [HERE]. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email the Director of XIPU Institution Prof. Yu Song at Yu.Song@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.