Professor / Senior Associate Professor in Education
School: Academy of Future Education
Department: Department of Educational Studies
Position: Professor/Senior Associate Professor in Education
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ACADEMY OF FUTURE EDUCATION (AOFE)
The Academy of Future Education of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is an educational innovation ecosystem that focuses on research, exploration, support, and dissemination of philosophy and best practices for future education. The core mission of the Academy is to impact education innovation and reform in China and beyond through a variety of projects and programmes, based on fundamental approaches in educational innovation and systemic development designed to contribute to the future of education. The Academy supports individuals and institutions at all levels, including all the K-15 schools as well as vocational education and higher education institutions.
Four units make up the Academy, namely the Department of Educational Studies (EDS), Institute of Leadership & Education Advanced Development (ILEAD), and Educational Development Unit (EDU), Learning Institute for Future Excellence (LIFE). Key projects of the Academy include the following programmes:
- Master’s and doctoral degree programmes in education
- Research projects on future education
- Education innovation community
- Professional development programmes for educational practitioners
- Student learning excellence support programmes
- Online-onsite hybrid learning environment and resources.
The Department of Educational Studies (EDS) is guided by a vision to become a globalized education hub cultivating future educators through student-centred, research-led, and innovative experiences in the syntegrative educational environment. The Department now has 10+ faculty examining a broad array of educational issues, such as life-long education and professional development; student-centred education and educational experience; technology-enhanced education; education management and leadership; child development and family education, or other relevant areas. Educational Studies also hosts an extensive range of postgraduate modules forming three Master’s programs: MA Global Education and MA Child Development and Family Education, and MSc Digital Education. In addition, the Department is developing programs of Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). Through teaching, research, and public engagement, the academic staff are an integral part of an educational innovation ecosystem that focuses on research, exploration, support, and dissemination of philosophy and best practices for future education.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Applications are invited for the Professor or Senior Associate Professor position in three disciplinary topics of digital education, child development and family education and education management at the Department of Educational Studies, Academy of Future Education at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, a joint venture established in 2006 by the University of Liverpool, UK and Xi’an Jiaotong University, China.
The Department of Educational Studies is looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of digital education, technology-enhanced education, instructional science and technology, data analytics in education, computational social science, educational leadership or educational administration, life-long education and professional development; student-centred education and educational experience; technology-enhanced education; education management and leadership language and cognitive psychology; developmental psychology; social psychology, early childhood studies, family education and counseling; educational research methodology and psychometric assessment and other relevant fields with a future education perspective, or an educational degree with relevant experiences who can:
- Embrace innovative, interactive, student-centred learning, teaching, and assessment approaches.
- Understand and have an innovative spirit and transformational approach in education, in line with the ethos of XJTLU and the Academy of Future Education.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to graduate students, have a track record in teaching and evaluation as examples.
- Supervise postgraduate students in thesis and dissertation.
- Conduct impactful research and be able to evidence the ability or potential to produce impactful research publications.
- Provide administrative services as expected at all levels to the School, the University, and its stakeholders, and support extra-curricular activities for students, staff, and discipline as expected.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional experience.
- Perform all other duties assigned by the supervisor or manager.
- Applicants with a terminal degree (e.g., PhD, EdD) from a wide range of areas, including digital education, technology-enhanced education, instructional science and technology, data analytics in education, computational social science, educational leadership or educational administration, language and cognitive psychology; developmental psychology; social psychology, early childhood studies, family education and counseling; educational research methodology and psychometric assessment, life-long education and professional development; student-centered education and educational experience; education management and leadership and other relevant fields with a future education perspective, or an educational degree with relevant experiences, are welcome.
- Fluent in English and the ability to effectively deliver postgraduate-level modules in English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI) context, particularly on master's degree programmes.
- High quality and innovative teaching experiences at the postgraduate level, particularly on master’s degree programmes.
- Strong leadership in working in a diverse and dynamic environment where a cross-team or department collaboration is encouraged.
- An international collaborative research profile in digital education, technology-enhanced education, instructional science and technology, data analytics in education, computational social science, educational leadership or educational administration and other relevant fields with a future education perspective.
- An international collaborative research profile in life-long education and professional development; student-centred education and educational experience; technology-enhanced education; education management and leadership or related areas with a global education perspective is preferred.
- An international collaborative research profile in language and cognitive psychology; developmental psychology; social psychology, early childhood studies, family education and counseling; educational research methodology and psychometric assessment; or other relevant areas and a successful record of research funding are preferred.
- Successful records of research funding in the field.
- Experience in successful supervision of doctoral students in education or closely relevant field is desired.
- A research focus and teaching/practical experiences on future education are desirable.
- Substantial experiences in innovative teaching and curriculum development.
- Substantial administrative and leadership experiences at schools or university contexts.
- A strong track record in designing and delivering education programmes, executive coaching, academic supervision, and management consulting for educational institutions and practitioners.
- Strong connections with scholars and practitioners in the field and taking a leadership role at professional associations nationally and/or internationally.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty member with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program - Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- RMB 1-3 Million
- Innovation Leading Talent
- up to RMB 2 Million
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website [HERE]. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email the Head, Department of Educational Studies, Professor Rong Wang at email@example.com. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.