Senior Lecturer (Emergency Medicine)
- Shared clinical academic position across the UWA Medical School and the Emergency Department of Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Full-time appointment on 5-year fixed term basis
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
This position will be a shared Clinical Academic position across the Discipline of Emergency Medicine in the UWA Medical School and the Emergency Department of Fiona Stanley Hospital. The position will be predominantly based at the Fiona Stanley Hospital Campus.
The UWA Medical School provides education, services and research that create better health for the benefit of the Western Australian, Australian and international communities. The School delivers a 4-year postgraduate entry MD program, numerous other post-graduate courses, and has a long history of successful research programs.
As part of the Medical School, the UWA Discipline of Emergency Medicine provides high quality and innovative education to medical students and has strong ties with local research groups. It currently has chief investigators coordinating several large national grant-funded projects and is involved in local and national research programs and collaborations.
Fiona Stanley Hospital is the major tertiary hospital in the south metropolitan area of Perth and offers comprehensive health care services to adults, youth and children. A leader in clinical care, research and education, the 783-bed public hospital is surrounded by leading health research and education facilities – including Murdoch University, St John of God Hospital and the onsite Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research.
About the opportunity
As a Senior Lecturer you will undertake independent teaching and research in Emergency Medicine making a significant contribution at the local and national level.
Within the UWA Division of Emergency Medicine you will lead and contribute to research activities, pursue and secure funding for projects, contribute to medical student teaching, supervision and assessment, and supervise higher degree by research students.
You will also work as a consultant Emergency Physician in the Emergency Department of Fiona Stanley Hospital. You will provide clinical duties, contribute to clinical research activities and initiatives, and get involved in non-clinical activities as appropriate.
In accordance with the WA Health System – Medical Practitioners (Clinical Academic) AMA Industrial Agreement 2022, the successful applicant will be deemed a clinical academic having been jointly appointed by the University and the Health Service. The remuneration is commensurate to the Senior Lecturer salary listed in the salary schedule of this agreement.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have:
- Registered, or able to be registered, with AHPRA as a Medical Practitioner in Western Australia with Fellowship of ACEM or equivalent
- Have a higher degree in clinically-focussed research (Masters or Doctorate), enrolled in a higher degree by research qualification, or equivalent research experience and expertise
- Experience in clinical practice as a consultant emergency medicine physician in the Australian health system within the last five years
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge, clinical experience, skills and judgement in practice of emergency medicine, and in associated diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in a high acuity, complex hospital environment.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise as a tutor and/or supervisor of medical students and/or junior doctors.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive teaching practices to extend equality of opportunity for all learners.
- Commitment to high quality research in the field of Emergency Medicine as demonstrated by publication in refereed journals, awards by professional associations for research or innovation, professional conference presentations, research grant success
- Demonstrated effective organisational, communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to staff and students at all levels, liaise effectively with patients and evidence of a commitment to equity and diversity principles
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Senior Lecturer (Emergency Medicine) 514999.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Monday, 25th September 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Dr Vanessa Clayden (Fiona Stanley) on (08) 61523789 or at Vanessa.Clayden@health.wa.gov.au or Prof Tony Celenza (UWA) on (08) 61510955 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.