Industry Research Assistant / Fellow, Defence Science and Technology Group
- Negotiable 0.5 - 1.0 FTE, Fixed Term position until the end of December 2024 (with a possible extension)
- Salary Academic Level A or B + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements
- Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, but will be required to work and/or be based at Defence Science and Technology Group, 506 Lorimer St., Fishermans Bend, Port Melbourne
Join our team as an Industry Research Assistant (or Fellow) to drive impactful research aligned with the University's strategy and its partnership with Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG). Work with increasing autonomy as you grow in skills and experience, collaborating with the DSTG/RMIT Centre for Advanced Defence Structures and Materials Experimentation (CADSME) team.
Operate servo hydraulic and static test machines, analyse test results, and use scientific instruments for data collection. Contribute to reports, technical papers, and presentations based on findings. Be a key team member, assisting DSTG personnel and contributing to full-scale structural tests when needed.
We welcome candidates at various experience levels. Inexperienced candidates can further develop scientific capabilities/qualifications, while experienced candidates can delve into complex support tasks and independent report preparation for DSTG's structures and materials test programs. Your alignment with qualifications and experience matters most.
To be successful in this position, you'll have:
- Either proven research Impact, showcased through a range of research outputs, including authored journal publications, technical and conference reports, presentations, and notable contributions in the realm of experimental testing and research on structures and materials or the potential to learn these skills and thrive in a scientific testing and analysis community.
- A track record of thriving in a team-oriented setting, effectively collaborating with colleagues of diverse backgrounds. Your demonstrated ability to work harmoniously and confidently within a team will be highly valued.
- The ability to engage and collaborate with project leaders across Defence, RMIT, and industry partner s and show how you can be a flexible and effective member of the team that can interact with various stakeholders within CADSME's ecosystem.
- Proficiency or the potential to achieve this in operating servo-hydraulic and electro-mechanical test machines, intricate controllers, diverse mechanical test sensing systems, as well as familiarity with engineering structures and design software packages. Knowledge of emerging materials, testing methods (including those for space, high-speed, and composite structures), and manufacturing processes is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse workloads, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities. A proactive drive to enhance skills and qualifications within an innovative environment is key.
- Strong communication skills that facilitate clear and impactful interactions.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children and National Police Check. Appointees must be able to gain an Australian security clearance - for this Australian citizenship will be required.
School of Engineering
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering and Aviation; Chemical and Environmental Engineering; Civil and Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical and Biomedical Engineering; Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials and Mechatronics Engineering; Mechanical and Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 University in the world for engineering (2018 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
RMIT Engineering's education is based on innovation and creativity. Key discipline areas in the School of Engineering provide programs with flexible pathways to global careers or postgraduate research.
Details relating to the School/College Office may be found @ www.rmit.edu.au/seh
Defence Science and Technology (DST) Group - Platforms Division's (PD) Structures and Materials Test Centre (SMTC)
Platforms Division's (PD) Structures and Materials Test Centre (SMTC) is a national asset, the largest and best-equipped facility of its type in the Asia Pacific. The SMTC has, in 70+ years of operations, accumulated an impressive record of accomplishment of research and client outcomes. The later, when measured in repair/refurbishment cost avoidance terms alone, exceeds $1 billion over several programs. The facility retains strong Defence client support and has an active ongoing research program in structures and materials experimentation.
The SMTC provides Defence clients with innovative testing solutions to their sustainment and certification requirements and is a key driver of academic research and training of the future Defence Industry science, engineering and technical workforce.
Please submit your CV and covering letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply' link below.
For further information about this position, please see the Position Description hyperlinked below or contact Wayne Foster via email email@example.com
Applications close on Sunday 8 October 2023 at 11.59 pm.
At RMIT, we are committed to supporting adjustments throughout the recruitment and selection process, as well as during employment. We actively support and encourage people with a disability to apply to RMIT. To discuss adjustment requirements, please contact Kassie (Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor), via firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Careers page for more contact information - https://www.rmit.edu.au/careers
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
We are a Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.
More searches like this
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Related jobs in Melbourne
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Support jobs in Melbourne
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Professional Services jobs in Melbourne
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research & Innovation jobs in Melbourne